• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If players had a screen, what would be on it?

Firebeetle

Explorer
If players had a screen, what would be on it?

I'm not looking for IF players should have a screen. I would like to know what information players would want to have at a glance.

Some ideas:
Size modifiers
Attribute modifiers
Armor AC modifiers

Thank you.

Emirikol

Adventurer
If players had a screen, it would be 4" high. It would contain the following on the players side:

1. Panel #1: A reminder from the DM: GET IN THE GAME OR ELSE
2. Panel #2: Another reminder from the DM: BE READY FOR YOUR TURN
3. Panel #3: A final reminder from the DM: DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT ROLLING BACK HERE

The DM's side of the screen would look like this:
1. Panel #1: Picture & name of the PC
2. Panel #2: NAME, CLASS, RACE, HOMELAND and a PICTURE of the PC
3. Panel #3: Picture & name of the PC

On a corner in the front has a paperclip or clamp for which the player can hang STATUS FLAGS:
e.g. RAGING, INVISIBLE, etc.

jh

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I provide player 'screens' in a lot of the RPGs I run. Since we don't play with a battlemat or miniatures, these lay flat on the table in front of the players instead of acting as a screen.

What goes on it depends on the game.

For D&D, it was 2 pages of how the various combat maneuvers work, what provokes an AoO, and a few important skill tables.

For CyberPunk, it is a list of firearms ranges, a full list of the skills in alphabetical order and what stat they are under (so when I call for a roll, you don't have to ask what stat it pairs with on the occasion that you lack said skill), the wound effects and stress effects charts.

For Vampire / WoD it is a single page with the names of the discipline powers at each level along with the die roll required for each discipline at that level, and a second page with some combat notes and how much blood is in what kind of critter and so on.

For GangBusters! it was a list of weapons, skills, and vehicles on a single page, along with a quick one-column description of the combat system.

For GammaWorld3e it was a copy of the ACT table on one page, and a list of different table results for different skill tests.

For Top Secret it was the combat modifiers, combat system, and the core sample guns on one page, and the martial arts tables compiled in a very small font on the second page.

For Rifts it was a cool piece of art and a scratch pad area for tracking MDC and damage and so on. No actual 'content'.

For Call of Cthulhu it was an overview of the Crit / Fumble rules, the San rules, and the healing rules.

SWBaxter

First Post
The Arcana Unearthed DM's screen came with a "Player's Reference Card". It has light source range and duration, skill check DCs, encumbrance information, and ability score modifiers on it. It's actually pretty useful for the skill DCs. I don't know off-hand if it was redone for Arcana Evolved.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Back in the day WOTC or TSR did release a set of player screens. They were for AD&D and each class had there own. If I recall correctly I think they even came in like a big plastic briefcase thing to carry some books with you.

Asmor

First Post
Emirikol said:
If players had a screen, it would be 4" high. It would contain the following on the players side:

1. Panel #1: A reminder from the DM: GET IN THE GAME OR ELSE
2. Panel #2: Another reminder from the DM: BE READY FOR YOUR TURN
3. Panel #3: A final reminder from the DM: DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT ROLLING BACK HERE

On a corner in the front has a paperclip or clamp for which the player can hang STATUS FLAGS:

jh

Snark not withstanding, I think the second part thereof is a fantastic idea. I actually used to do something similar, I got little white boards (about 6 inches square) and had everyone write down their ACs and character names on it, plus keep track of HP on it. Ideally when they weren't actually writing on it it would be propped up on something so everyone could see.

I think you're on the right track. Ideally a player screen's primary function would be to help everyone (the player included) keep track of things. I'd like to see:

*Dry erase marker-safe.
*On top, a set of 3 wheels embedded in the screen, the kind where just the top of the wheel pokes out so you can rotate them. Each wheel would have every number from 0-9, with a little window so that a single digit can be seen through. A hit point tracker.
*Areas to write character name, AC, saves, current status, and if room allows common "DM rolls" skills (spot, listen, hide, move silently, etc) and some blank area for a character sketch or whatever else.

On the back? Not really sure... Grapple flow-chart? ;)

Vocenoctum

First Post
I think you could make a decent "players place mat" type deal.

Not sure what I'd want on it, but something like the Battle Box comes to mind. (I don't have it, so can't be specific.)

GreatLemur

Explorer
Emirikol said:

Yeah, I'm with Asmor: These are damn good ideas.

Remove ads