• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) If there are no half-elves or half-orcs will there be Tieflings (half fiends)?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Why is the choice between human and Khoravar no longer allowed to have one?

Why must every Khoravar now either be fully human or fully elven in their mechanics? Why are we no longer allowed a middle ground that allows them to exist as Khoravar? Why do I now have to alter other aspects of their mechanics - change their background, take a feat, etc. - in order to express a heritage that they should already have?
Just because this wasn't addressed in the playtest doesn't mean it won't be addressed in PHB and/or DMG 2024.
WotC wants old books to be compatible. It should be assumed that there will be sidebars and/or appendixes explaining how to do that.

Just because this wasn't addressed in the playtest doesn't mean it won't be addressed in PHB and/or DMG 2024.
WotC wants old books to be compatible. It should be assumed that there will be sidebars and/or appendixes explaining how to do that.
And if they do so, then my concerns will have been addressed and I will applaud them for it.

At the moment, however, we only have what has been shown in the playtest, and the proposed ruleset for handling mixed ancestry characters I find to be both woefully insufficient and conceptually counterproductive.

I'd rather state my view on this now, during the playtest when it can still be modified, than patiently wait until after the '24 rules are locked in and nothing can be done until the next big Xanathar/Tasha-style optional rules bundle.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'd rather state my view on this now, during the playtest when it can still be modified, than patiently wait until after the '24 rules are locked in and nothing can be done until the next big Xanathar/Tasha-style optional rules bundle.
I hope you replied to the actual survey for this element months ago.

It's highly unlikely that D&D's designers are reading ENWorld looking for playtest elements that are already done

Hussar

Legend
Why should the phb include options that only apply to one race in one setting?

IOW, why would the phb give the slightest rat’s petoot about Eberron?

Why should the phb include options that only apply to one race in one setting?

IOW, why would the phb give the slightest rat’s petoot about Eberron?
I'm using Khoravar as a convenient example case to work from, but my concerns apply to all mixed ancestry options, especially the new ones this rules change is purportedly intended to open up.

Would my argument be more valid if I asked why a mixed Dwarf-Dragonborn has to choose between Stonecunning and their Breath Weapon?

Last edited:

I think it's been a while since Tieflings were described as half-fiends. Or were they ever? They're described as beings that have a little fiend in their family tree as far as I can recall. And, no, since they're one of the most popular races species out there, there's no way WotC will kick them to the curb.
Never they have never been half fiends.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Would my argument be more valid if I asked why a mixed Dwarf-Dragonborn has to choose between Stonecunning and their Breath Weapon?
I like this example better than half-elves, as half-elves were just better versions of elves, while not mixing anything human into their suite of features.

Also, this example shines bright the advantages that LevelUp and Tales of the Valiant have

I like this example better than half-elves, as half-elves were just better versions of elves, while not mixing anything human into their suite of features.

Also, this example shines bright the advantages that LevelUp and Tales of the Valiant have
How is Tales of the Valiant handling characters with mixed ancestry/heritage? curious

Hussar

Legend
I'm using Khoravar as a convenient example case to work from, but my concerns apply to all mixed ancestry options, especially the new ones this rules change is purportedly intended to open up.

No. Because before, that mix wasn’t possible under the rules. You could homebrew that race but it did not exist in the game.

Now it does.

That’s a win right there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads