• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"If this, then that." Too complicated?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
So one of the things I noticed when building my first character was the slew of abilities that read "If X occures, you can do Y".

I see that as something that, as characters grow in power, will become very hard to keep track of.

Check out the attachment. My proposed solution is the "Action Triggers" box in the bottom left corner. I'm not 100% sure I'm happy with it though.

Suggestions?

EDIT - See here for ore info on the character sheets themselves.

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Pseudo-Bump

I'm attaching two more characters on the "pretty" character sheets to add some substance to this post. :D

Attachments

• Human Warlord.pdf
    169.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Eladrin Wizard.pdf
    193.6 KB · Views: 192

Fobok

First Post
It's not like you end up having a lot of powers to keep track of, though. And only a few will likely be like that. So, I don't think it'll be that much trouble to keep track of, though I obviously have no experience with it to say for sure.

Vanuslux

Explorer
Fobok said:
It's not like you end up having a lot of powers to keep track of, though. And only a few will likely be like that. So, I don't think it'll be that much trouble to keep track of, though I obviously have no experience with it to say for sure.

I don't know...I mean, that's a first level character with about seven (going from memory) "action triggers"...I'm sure the number of action triggers is going to be obscenely long by higher levels so I think listing action triggers like Ashrem proposes is a great idea.

Edit: Went back and looked...it's only five action triggers...but that's still a lot and worth having a streamlined sidebar for.

Celebrim

Legend
I hated the notion of triggered actions ever since the initial fourth edition spoiler on what combat with a dragon would be like in 4e.

I also agree that triggers can be hard to keep track of. Event driven models are complicated enough in programming, much less expecting people to keep track of them in PnP.

Tervin

First Post
Celebrim said:
I also agree that triggers can be hard to keep track of. Event driven models are complicated enough in programming, much less expecting people to keep track of them in PnP.

My experience is that people are used to triggers like that in card games, which is why I think power cards will do the trick.

Celebrim

Legend
Tervin said:
My experience is that people are used to triggers like that in card games, which is why I think power cards will do the trick.

I have ~10000 Magic the Gathering cards in my closet. I can recognize the design influences, and I do agree that an array of power cards laid out in front of you would be more useful than a traditional character sheet.

However, as much as I like MtG, I really don't want to get into arguments over phases and timing and stacked abilities in D&D. It was bad enough in 3rd edition trying to figure out what square a charging character was tripped into by a ranged weapon without making that sort of question of priority something you run into again and again.

Furthermore, I strongly suspect that there are alot of gamers that scream DO NOT WANT when that sort of complexity enters thier game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads