• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"If this, then that." Too complicated?

Vorhaart

First Post
How representative is this compared to other classes? Does a fighter or wizard have a similarly complex stack? How big a factor is race in this?

I don't think five triggers is terribly too many things to keep track of, but then I've been playing for a long time and very meticulous about my characters. For a newbie though, this could easily be confusing to the point of overwhelming...

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
This looks to primarily be an issue with the Tiefling Warlock (Infernal) character.

As you can see in the others I posted, the Warlock and Wizard weren't bad at all.

I'll build some more characters tomorrow. But so far, it looks like I picked the worst case first.

neceros

Adventurer
Having tinkered with the rules a bit recently, I will concur that there seems to be a lot of situational bonuses. However, I don't think it deters from the game and most players seem to remember their abilities, enthusiastically, even.

It hasn't been a problem, so far.

Zephyrus

First Post
I Must also throw in my awed 'where did you get those beautiful character sheets and where can I get some'. Absolutely gorgeous, kudos to you for the design. If you could somehow come up with a way to create a editable PDF to serve as a template I'm sure you'd have quite a number of fans.

Back on topic. I think the section is useful. It appears some classes or characters may be worse than others. Warlocks appear to be one of the biggest culprits of these kind of things but it definitly appears to be a handy reference/one-stop-shop for major If-Then queries. Depending on how far you take it. It appears on the Warlock you hit on just the key If-Then's and did not bog it down with gratuitous triggers Such as from for example the hellish rebuke If-Then to deal extra damage. Using that power should act as its own reminder where as the 5 in the triggers bog are good 'general reminders'.

Destil

Explorer
No, most of this stuff makes more sense elsewhere. Most of it isn't really 'triggered', which I would consider something you remember when it's not your turn.

Shadow Walk should be with defenses. It's not so much triggered as you need to remember if you moved.

Likewise prime shot should be part of your attack section. You don't trigger it, you remember it when you attack. Blood hunt belongs here, too.

Infernal wrath is a minor action to activate. You don't need a trigger, just remember who attacked you last round and decide if you want to spend the minor.

So, in the end Dark One's Blessing is the only valid trigger (i.e. I want to look at that box when it's not my turn to jog my memory). And you don't really get too many more powers like that as you gain levels... warlocks all get a single one at 1st, and they can improve a bit, but I'd like to see a character with more than 4 really triggered abilities (not saying it can't be done, I haven't digested half of 4E yet).

EDIT: May be easier than I thought to get 4+ triggers at higher levels. But you'll be devoting a lot of your powers to them...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads