• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If Warlord is necessary "cuz past editions", where is my vampire PC, dangit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
I see multiple claims that warlords need to be a thing because one-and-a-half editions (4e warlord & 3.5 marshal) have represented them for play.

Well then. Where the heck is my vampire player character? More editions have allowed for that than have accommodated this warlords upstart! I demand WotC act immediately to provide me with official vampire character crunch. Otherwise 5e is a failure that is not working to cater to everyone, like they clearly stated they would.

No. Seriously. Why isn't vampire race and/or class a need that must be acted on immediately? It's even more of a standard fantasy trope than whatever warlords represent, for cryin' in a bucket!

It seems like they could build a vampire bloodline sorcerer (just like chaos sorcerer it is assumed you got exposed to something and got powers) pretty easily. A lot of vampire powers are covered by sorcerer spells. Something similar to summon animals and shape change as higher level features seem pretty appropriate (turning into a bat vs. permanent wings).....

I see multiple claims that warlords need to be a thing because one-and-a-half editions (4e warlord & 3.5 marshal) have represented them for play.

Well then. Where the heck is my vampire player character? More editions have allowed for that than have accommodated this warlords upstart! I demand WotC act immediately to provide me with official vampire character crunch. Otherwise 5e is a failure that is not working to cater to everyone, like they clearly stated they would.

No. Seriously. Why isn't vampire race and/or class a need that must be acted on immediately? It's even more of a standard fantasy trope than whatever warlords represent, for cryin' in a bucket!

Maybe you and the other people interested could ask WOTC to make one, instead of threadcrapping in the warlord subforum, since that's more or less been your sole contribution to ENworld - to raise a big hissyfit about how much a warlord isn't needed.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
It seems like they could build a vampire bloodline sorcerer (just like chaos sorcerer it is assumed you got exposed to something and got powers) pretty easily. A lot of vampire powers are covered by sorcerer spells. Something similar to summon animals and shape change as higher level features seem pretty appropriate (turning into a bat vs. permanent wings).....
Yeah. Though I think I like the idea of keeping it either racial or maybe some kind of overlaying template. Rather than as a class (the way 4e did it - though they also had a race option). But depending on how it was done, I guess a class could work.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The Warlord is the only class that has appeared in a past-edition's PH1 that 5e still fails to support. Even psionics, which appeared as a non-class appendix in only one past PH, now has a second take on the 5e version, the Mystic.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
. . . represent, for cryin' in a bucket!
I must remember that expression; I've heard "for cryin' out loud" before, but not the "cryin' in a bucket" variant. Thanks for the contribution (and for this shiny new thread).

I'm guessing the devs are taking it slow. They started out with overtly-heroic PCs as the stated way to play the game in the PHB, and have only just started going in more horror-themed directions with Oafs ot the Abyss and now the upcoming Strahd adventure. If they're soon giving us an opponent who is a vampire, that opens the door for later development of vampire PCs. It may take several more months, as they seem to be trying to get Psionics working first, but they should get to playable vampires eventually. I'm sure 5E has enough design-space to allow that.

My question: will yours sparkle in the sunlight?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe you and the other people interested could ask WOTC to make one, instead of threadcrapping in the warlord subforum, since that's more or less been your sole contribution to ENworld - to raise a big hissyfit about how much a warlord isn't needed.

Interesting case of being right and wrong in one fell swoop. If you had reported this to us as a threadcrap, we likely would have closed it and been done.

But, since you had to make it personal and insulting, before I have to close it, I need to remind you that having a point doesn't mean you get to be a jerk to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads