D&D 5E If WotC Did A New Setting Search

Eberron was created using the pulp-fiction as source of inspiration, and that is not wrong.

A setting inspired in no-Western cultures sound fabulous, but the risk is some event from the real life could cause that nation to become taboo for a time. I hope this can be a soft example. Let's imagine a crownfunding a couple of years ago of a new setting based in slavic culture and East-Europe. But then Russia invades Ukrany... and then it may become a unconfortable threat.

I think Hasbro will bet for Japan before China.

I would love a setting inspired in rich Spanish History and culture, but where there are two Spaniards there are three opinions. We would need to create a totally ideologically neutral setting, to avoid possible troubles and controversies about pejorative tropes. 7th Sea is a good example of how the prejudices of the authors can remain reflected in their creations without anyone realizing it. Even if a Spanish artist created a work about Spain, this could be love by the half, but hated by the other. Today different sectors of Spanish society, and their positions are beginning to become increasingly irreconcilable. Some tropes can be showed, but the abuse of stereotypes should be avoided. We should notice when some treats may be taboo in the industry. And take care when you try to use the fiction to tell what it is wrong according to your own point of view. Who wants to spend her money to suffer propaganda?

The point of view about a foreign society can be radically according the watcher. It is not the same by the native who has lived all his life in his land, a native who has lived in other country for several years, contrasting both, and a foreigner who has lived with the natives for several years. They aren't lying, only watching from different angles of view.

Other option could be not only hiring cultural consultants but some outsourcer.

Reynard

Legend
Eberron was created using the pulp-fiction as source of inspiration, and that is not wrong.

A setting inspired in no-Western cultures sound fabulous, but the risk is some event from the real life could cause that nation to become taboo for a time. I hope this can be a soft example. Let's imagine a crownfunding a couple of years ago of a new setting based in slavic culture and East-Europe. But then Russia invades Ukrany... and then it may become a unconfortable threat.

I think Hasbro will bet for Japan before China.

I would love a setting inspired in rich Spanish History and culture, but where there are two Spaniards there are three opinions. We would need to create a totally ideologically neutral setting, to avoid possible troubles and controversies about pejorative tropes. 7th Sea is a good example of how the prejudices of the authors can remain reflected in their creations without anyone realizing it. Even if a Spanish artist created a work about Spain, this could be love by the half, but hated by the other. Today different sectors of Spanish society, and their positions are beginning to become increasingly irreconcilable. Some tropes can be showed, but the abuse of stereotypes should be avoided. We should notice when some treats may be taboo in the industry. And take care when you try to use the fiction to tell what it is wrong according to your own point of view. Who wants to spend her money to suffer propaganda?

The point of view about a foreign society can be radically according the watcher. It is not the same by the native who has lived all his life in his land, a native who has lived in other country for several years, contrasting both, and a foreigner who has lived with the natives for several years. They aren't lying, only watching from different angles of view.

Other option could be not only hiring cultural consultants but some outsourcer.
Just do something that isn't a pastiche of badly researched historical eras and locations.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I would want them to lean hard on Magic: the Gathering. They already own the IP, they already have the lore written...it's practically an untapped money faucet. I would throw so much money at them if they gave us a full Lorwyn/Shadowmoore campaign setting. Or a Kamigawa setting.

ichabod

Legned
Are there? The only one for D&D I can think of is Dragonlance. FR is decidedly not medieval, Greyhawk and Mystara are both hyborean style amalgam worlds with countries ranging from ancient to high Renaissance, and Eberron, Spelljammer, Ravenloft and Planescape all speak for themselves. Where are the medieval settings? Certainly not Golarion or Midgard. They are both in that hyborean category as well
Fine, straight European fantasy, or whatever you want to call it. Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, all of those. It's been done to death.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Something explicitly inspired by fantasy anime and Japanese animation and videogames. It's a hugely popular subgenre of fantasy -- arguably the most popular form of fantasy fiction in the world -- and WotC has zero support for it.

The Obojima Kickstarter is the fifth biggest RPG campaign of all time ($2.6m, with 23k backers). The number one and three RPG crowdfunding campaigns of all time (Avatar: The Last Airbender RPG and Ryoko's Guide to the Yokai Realms) are also about Asian-inspired fantasy.

I'm not even an anime fan, although I did back Obojima, and this jumps out at me as the obvious gaping hole in the line-up.

J-H

Hero
I think the point has been made well enough about the risks of basing something on a real-world / historical society or setting, even if it's been ignored and would be really cool. It's much safer to leave that up to 3rd parties.

Then it becomes: "What is different about this world that shapes the game?"
Planescape is: D&D, but with ALL the planes meeting and mixing
Ravenloft is: D&D, but with more horror and you're trapped
Eberron is: D&D, but with steampunk and magitech making it feel closer to modern
Dark Sun is: D&D, but resource-poor and with a lot less magic
Spelljammer is: D&D, but in spaaaace with magic
Strixhaven is: D&D, but it's like Harry Potter / British boarding school

Find the X. What is the "D&D, but X" that will sell well?

Reynard

Legend
The question of whether such a contest would move the needle in today's crowd funding driven environment is an interesting one, tho. My guess is it would still generate some excitement, and all the settings that did not win would go straight to KS!

Remove ads