• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If WOTC gave us a preview from MM1...?

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I wanna see 2 Monsters, to show a difference

I'd like a Paragon level Dragon, or even Epic, for the oh holy S*** effect. It's gotta be a Dragon though, it's Dungeons and Dragons.

On the other end of the spectrum I wanna see a lowly goblin,

Zurai

First Post
thundershot said:
I hated Mike's Rust Monster... Mostly because it's the one lower level creature that can CRIPPLE a 3E character. If something kills you. Meh. You can be rezzed.

One? Never fought a group of Shadows, have you? A group of them working in coordination (which they can do, as they're intelligent undead) can quickly and easily drain even a high level character to 0 strength - at which point they're raised as another shadow, preventing raise dead, reincarnation, or resurrection. The only thing that works on something a Shadow has killed is a true resurrection, which is hardly 'meh' worthy. Shadows are CR 3, same as a rust monster, but they're lethal to all character types, whereas rust monsters are only dangerous to front line fighters.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Stogoe said:
The new Rust Monster actually sounds better than the old one. I was never one to be or enjoy playing under an adversarial DM, and the whole "Ha Ha! I screwed you dumb punks over yet again!" playstyle grates on me.

Exactly. The existing Rust Monster is a ridiculous broken monster. There should never be a monster whose sole purpose is to screw over the PCs. I say that as both a DM and a player.

Disjunction, level drain, rust monsters...throw it all on the trash heap of things that deserve to be discarded from prior editions and then take a flame thrower to it all.

4e cannot get here fast enough. I can't wait to convert over. Good riddance to bad rules.

StarFyre

Explorer
hmmm

I use rust monsters almost like as puzzles into themselves.

My party members rarely want to kill them since they are just 'creatures, in their habitat, or what have you'. However, they don't want to lose stuff, so they find ways to herd them, have them give chase, and have actually disabled a huge puzzle/trap chamber, elaborate one i had setup, via the rust monsters eating up all the trigger plates, etc..hehe it was great.

That said, we use a custom critical hit tables and house rules for item saves ,etc, so I will add the rust monsters current styled rust attack back in and my players will be fine with that :)

I hate nerfing monsters...makes it more like a stupid video game IMHO. I've never played with a party that had a problem with losing stuff; it happens. We've almost lost a vorpal sword in one campaign due to a low save roll (2E)...no big deal. it happens...

Same thing like spells like time stop, wish, disjunction or powers like level drain. They have their place, as there are creatures that my vision would have such powers...like in films where a person's soul appears to be drained away by some ghost or something. However, stuff like this can easily be house ruled; spells can be added back into the epic spell tiers, so not a problem.

But, I can understand this change for the new generation of players. Players these days are pampered i say...rust monsters that don't rust, beholders that don't disintegrate, dragons with no spells, balors & fire elementals that can be harmed via fire...what's next? an iron golem that will be hurt with i lob a pebble at it? or maybe a lich without spells :p

Sanjay

Cryptos

First Post
FireLance said:
The Gnome! :]

His lair! :lol:

And his minion! :p

That was my first thought as well.

But seriously, I'd like to see anything that was notorious for its "save or die" effect done under 4E. I think that would tell us a lot about the system.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Capstones of the creature scale, and famous ones to boot: the gnome from the flashtoon (lair and minion included!) and the red dragon from the famed Dragon Fight article.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads