• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If WOTC gave us a preview from MM1...?

Kesh

First Post
kennew142 said:
For me, it would be gnolls. Gnolls figure very heavily in my upcoming 4e campaign. I know they're sort of tame compared to dragons, beholders, etc..., but they would be very useful for my campaign.
I second this motion!

… what? :)

Seriously, though, this would be a great choice. We'd get to see a monster most of us wind up fighting quite often, as well as an opportunity to see what they're doing with racial PC write-ups for monsters.

Last edited:

Crashy75

First Post
Cryptos said:
That was my first thought as well.

But seriously, I'd like to see anything that was notorious for its "save or die" effect done under 4E. I think that would tell us a lot about the system.
That's a good point. This or the gob minions, regulars and elites.

Dormammu

Explorer
Dragonblade said:
Disjunction, level drain, rust monsters...throw it all on the trash heap of things that deserve to be discarded from prior editions and then take a flame thrower to it all.

4e cannot get here fast enough. I can't wait to convert over. Good riddance to bad rules.
If you hate so many D&D staples, why not just play a different FRPG? I ask this as an honest question.

Rechan

Adventurer
Dormammu said:
If you hate so many D&D staples, why not just play a different FRPG? I ask this as an honest question.
Because D&D is more than just level drain, save or dies, and rust monsters.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Dormammu said:
Probably the same reason I hate all these things but still like D&D, I like EVERYTHING else. I'm not normally one to complain about the way D&D does things since I like almost everything.

However, over the years things that add large amounts of frustration to the game as both a player and DM are mostly all or nothing effects or "bypass" effects.

Essentially these are things that are one roll that if failed(or succeeds depending on the situation) will make something either REALLY easy or impossibly hard. This includes: Save or Die, Save or Be Useless, Save or Lose a Magic Item, Save or Lose a Level.

To a lesser extent the "bypass" effects are annoying as well. These include: Anything without a save, negative levels(die in a number of hits no matter how many hitpoints you have), stat drain(die in a number of hits no matter how many hitpoints you have).

The reason these are annoying is because as you gain levels in D&D, you are supposed to get the feeling that you are more powerful, more heroic, and harder to kill. Monsters have to do more damage to kill you, they have to roll higher to hit you, be better at casting to effect you, etc. These things all ignore how powerful you are(or close to it) or remove all your power. Going backwards isn't fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads