• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If WotC Released D&D 3.75 Tomorrow....

Nightson

First Post
Depends. I'm mostly doing PbP now, and the adventure paths are just to long for it and to connected to each other to play them separately without loosing much of the story.

Some of their single adventures are quite good, but I prefer the length of the adventures in the Dungeon or the Worldbooks and One-Sheets of Savage Worlds for my current gaming medium.

I don't say that they are not great for many other people, just that this is not a universal truth.

Well, this is obviously my opinion and not universal truth, but I can't recall any single adventures wizards has done that I would consider quite good. But this is something I have only skimmed since I stopped playing 4e a year ago.

Darwinism

First Post
Why would WotC go to a smaller market to release in a niche they already abandoned for not being profitable enough (largely due to the OGL saturating the market with horrible quality splats) when they're making more money off of DDI alone than most developers will ever see?

That's what really gets me; all these nerd entitlement cries along the lines of, "Well they would have to write me a personal apology and tell me that they'd go back to 3.5E and never ever change in any meaningful way and then pay me." Yeah, I bet they're really, really hurting as they roll around in the TTRPG equivalent of a cash house full of cash furniture and where they can eat cash each meal of the day and if they get warm they can go out back and take a relaxing dip in their swimming pool of money.

And that's what it boils down to; money. Paizo's got their nostalgia niche pretty secured, though how long that can last is debatable, and WotC isn't doing everything right by any means but they're doing more than anyone else to A) move the industry forward by recognizing that this fancy-pants interwebs thing can actually be used constructively and B) aggressively trying to get people into the hobby. There's no profit in WotC going up against a competitor selling an old product; it makes as much sense as Toyota trying to go after used car dealerships by manufacturing '94 Tercels again.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
I might give a look, and if I has enough monies I would probably buy the MM, but otherwise, no. Not interested.

baradtgnome

First Post
3.5E is my game of preference right now, and I just don't see how you can 'tweak' away the problems with it by a point upgrade. The support doesn't mean a whole lot to me, so I don't need to buy a new set of core books which would in fact have more power up gimme items for players rather than game fixes.

I wonder when WoTC will realize and accept the market cannot be satisfied with just one version of the game. There probably needs to be 2 or 3 versions, hopefully based on the same underlying engine. A simpler game, harking back to early editions; a detailed rules game like 3.5/Pathfinder; and a game more focused on the minis/tactics. With that, then maybe I'd move to their product offering in the 3.5 detailed rules space.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Okay, related but separate - If WotC came out with a 'Rules Light' version of D&D, somewhere between 3.5 and B E C M I (or Cyclopedia) would you be interested?

Again, 4e remains supported, full OGL, and solid support, etc..

I will start off by saying this would interest me more than a 3.75 - I think that Pathfinder fills that role, and fills it extremely well.

Assumptions:
1. Miniatures are supported, but play does not rely on them.

2. Sold as either a series of boxes, or as thin paperbound books, with a hardcover when all the sets in the line have come out.

3. Adventure creation very similar to B E C M I. You could run Keep on the Borderlands with it. A statblock covers about a inch on the page.

The Auld Grump

Okay, related but separate - If WotC came out with a 'Rules Light' version of D&D, somewhere between 3.5 and B E C M I (or Cyclopedia) would you be interested?
I hate to say it but zero interest for me. I'm not really a fan of rules-lite or over-simplified stuff; such things always make me wonder where the rest of the pages or product is. This is just a personal preference thing though; nothing against rules-lite RPGs for those that dig them.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Stormonu

Legend

Assumptions:
1. Miniatures are supported, but play does not rely on them.

2. Sold as either a series of boxes, or as thin paperbound books, with a hardcover when all the sets in the line have come out.

3. Adventure creation very similar to B E C M I. You could run Keep on the Borderlands with it. A statblock covers about a inch on the page.

The Auld Grump

This strikes me as being somewhat similar to where Castles & Crusades sits, and yes, it would interest me very much.

Darwinism

First Post

...what? Something between all rules all the time and pure simplicity? What does this even mean? Every other edition falls into that category.

Remove ads