D&D 5E If you aren't buying magic items, where will you spend your gold?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
The obvious answer:[sblock]
anh.png
[/sblock]

My PCs are using their funds to buy their way out of the military.
Didn't they enroll in the military on purpose? You, sir, are cruel and clever. I approve. :cool:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Aren't you trying to solve a problem that didn't need a new solution?

How about hoping the DMG contains magic item prices as an option for those of us who feel magic items that make your character better is the most fun option to spend your gold on.

I'm not trying to solve any problem at all, I'm trying to create a fun thread that amuses me. If you want to simply grouse about 5e not including costs for magic items (something I'm enthusiastically in favor of, personally, but I understand the objection), please do so elsewhere.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Didn't they enroll in the military on purpose? You, sir, are cruel and clever. I approve. :cool:

Heh. Thanks, but the campaign started with all the PCs compelled to join the Grey Guard, an imperial monster-hunting organization. Like taking the black in Game of Thrones, entry into the Grey Guard is considered tantamount to a death sentence; they have casualties of something like 90%. Still, better than summary execution! It's been a fun campaign hook because everyone respects and fears the Guard, and it's a hanging offense to attack one or bar one from execution of their duties. After all, they keep the empire's normal citizens safe, or die trying.

You can buy your way out of the Guard for half a million gold pieces. Start saving.

----------

Other good uses for money:

- pay a mercenary army to harass an enemy's gates or nearby holdings, while you sneak in the back way

- pay bards to spread scurrilous rumors

- money bath

Hereticus

First Post
If a group of people with enough wealth to buy several kingdoms comes to town with a need for magic items, there will be people lining up to fill that need. In the case of that much wealth it will be rulers with entire armies who will annihilate every ruin, dungeon and cave in a 500 mile radius looking for things to get that wealth with.

It also depends how prevalent magic items are in the campaign. Can you order anything you desire on Amazon, and have it in your hands the next day? Or are all acquired items immediately put to use in someone's hands who can use them? Or are they so rare so that few characters below fifth level have ever touched one? I like the middle option.

And I can't imagine anyone selling a really powerful magic item, unless they were a dime a dozen. These are the types of items that shape the outcomes of battles and the fates of kingdoms. Why would they be for sale to anyone?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Personally, I'm all for getting specific items into the hands of player characters -- so long as the exchange is interesting and filled with story. Swapping a Rod of Lordly Might in exchange for conquering a neighboring kingdom, which requires spending a certain amount of money to hire mercenaries, might be one way to do it. A church requiring a significant tithe in order to use a blessed sword of a possible saint might be another way. I want story hooks, personally, not just a cash exchange. That fits my campaign style better.

Paraxis

Explorer
If there is slavery in the world, purchase slaves.

Then depending on how you want the other players to react to this either use them to carry you around on a litter and use them as the example sheep above.

Or, be the good guy and free them with even more of your gold to start new lives in a country that doesn't have slavery.

Ohh buy an island and only let cool people live there.

the Jester

Legend
Magic items may not be available for purchase off the shelf, but shouldn't PCs be able to commission them? This also gives ideas for fetch quests, of course: "I'll be delighted to make this armour for you, Sir knight, but I need..."

It depends- I rather enjoy the notion of a setting where the art of making magic items has been lost.

If a group of people with enough wealth to buy several kingdoms comes to town with a need for magic items, there will be people lining up to fill that need. In the case of that much wealth it will be rulers with entire armies who will annihilate every ruin, dungeon and cave in a 500 mile radius looking for things to get that wealth with.

Depends on the campaign. If the ruler has his or her hands full just keeping the kingdom safe from giants and monsters, there might not be time or resources available to do this- for example, is it worth losing 20 men for the chance to retrieve a +1 sword?

Really, this is a playstyle thing; not all games have magic items flowing freely. In my 5e group, the highest level pcs have hit 3rd level, and the only magic items that they've found are a magical oil (that made a weapon +1 for 10 minutes, but is already used up) and, now, a ring of protection. And they've spent pretty much all their time dungeoneering.

Remove ads