• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you could choose ONE non-d20 game to play, which one would it be?

Which game would you choose?

• HERO System

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • GURPS

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • World of Darkness (new or old)

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Tri-Stat dx

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • West End Games d6

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Exalted

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 84 49.7%

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeBhaal

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Any superhero game though sadly there's never been a system yet that didn't suck.
SAS and GodLike both do a good job with supers gaming, GodLike's only problem is it's primarily set in WWII era

Henrix

Explorer
Well, I already run Unknown Armies from time to time (as a break from my D&D campaigns), but would like to run Heroquest and Sorcerer when I find time. Oh, and perhaps Ars Magica, again, with the new edition.

And to play, well, there are a lot of games I'd like to play! But few of them on your list....

Last edited:

Davelozzi

Explorer
Alternity. I've always wanted to run an Alternity campaign but the only one I ever started fell apart almost immediately when two out of three players moved away.

Galethorn

First Post
CODA middle earth/LOTR rpg. I've played it, and even have a campaign (errr...'chronicle') in it that's on long-term hiatus. It relies a lot more on DM (errr...'narrator') judgement (and 'fudgement') than D20 anything ever seems to, but it's simple enough that it doesn't slow things down--fights are usually about half as long as in my D20 games (relative to the in-game time, of course). This may have a lot to do with the 2d6/d6 mechanic (i.e. task resolution with 2d6, and xD6+x for weapon damage), since nobody ever has to go digging through their dicebag (or sifting through their pile) to find the right die.

That said, it also took just a little bit shorter than D&D/Grim Tales for character creation, but not much; it also took several ranks in 'use scratchpaper' if you made characters higher than level (errr...'advancement') 1. Overall, I think it's a fun system, but it puts a lot of the burden on the narrator to keep things from going crazy (like combining lightning, fog-summoning, and flame of anor into an electrical cloud of holy death and destruction). Hrm. Maybe I should start a new campaign...errr...chronicle.

GlassJaw

Hero
Other: Shadowrun, hands down. I actually think I'm starting to like it more than D&D 3ed, although I don't get to play as much as I would like.

Shadowrun, with house-ruled Decking and Vehicle Combat

Have you checked out the Decking rules in SR3? While it doesn't completely eliminate the decker doing his own thing, it is a lot better than previuos versions.

GlassJaw

Hero
Alternity. I've always wanted to run an Alternity campaign but the only one I ever started fell apart almost immediately when two out of three players moved away.

Hey, a guy in my group is dying to play Alternity too. You should get in touch with him. His screen name is CarlZog in here. I'll point him in the direction of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads