• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you could choose...

hopeless

Adventurer
I was wondering if you could select the five characters in a new d&d movie or tv series what would you choose and how would you explain why they teamed up?

Using for the moment only the first phb and the forgotten realms guide as sources what combination would you choose noting that even though the FR PG is included that doesn't mean it has to be set in 4e Faerun just that the next movie or tv series is based around a group of five characters you get to choose who would you choose (combination of what race with what class) and how you would explain at the start why they're together when the series or movie begins...

Perhaps I should have done this as two threads so one dealt with the movie the other the tv series and it can be considered as if it were either animated or live action if you want to differ between those two mediums as well.

(Thanks to the Star Wars Clone Wars movie I thought that should be included)

So what say you?

Thanee

First Post
Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut
Dwarf Cleric of Moradin
Elf Ranger
Halfling Rogue
Human Wizard

Dunno, I kinda like iconic. :D

Bye
Thanee

Cadfan

First Post
In spoiler blocks because then, if you read it, you consent to me raining on your parade.

[SBLOCK]I wouldn't.

I think that the conventions that make a "D&D movie" guarantee that the movie will suck.

Basically, here's why I don't like "D&D Movies."

Start with fantasy literature and movies.

These inform D&D designers, who then make a game designed to emulate them.

Then, along comes some smart guy, and makes a movie emulating the genre conventions of D&D.

Its like translating english into japanese and back again on babelfish. The result is a horrible jumble. I'd instead prefer if the intermediate step of referring to D&D were skipped, and someone just made a good fantasy movie out of the material that influences D&D. We might call it, "Lord of the Rings" or "Harry Potter." I hope someone makes a movie like that someday.

...its possible that someone could make a good movie out of one of the better D&D licensed novels. In the good ones, someone has already carefully excised most of the genre conventions that fit a tabletop game but suck in passive entertainments.[/SBLOCK]

Cryptos

First Post
I could think of few things that would be more damaging to the hobby than to put it up on the small or big screen as-is for laypersons to try and understand and enjoy, without looking ridiculous.

The diverse adventuring party, for instance. It would take up a lot of screen time to establish what the characters are and what they can do, but then also squeezing in a compelling backstory for each, let alone why they are together would be overkill.

Identifying characters by class would just be bizarre in most cases. (Actually, I think it's bizarre that people do it in D&D while roleplaying most of the time, too. In setting terms if some guy weilds a sword in defense of his city, he's a guardsman, not a Fighter like the other guy that uses a sword to threaten and attack people or creatures for loot, a brigand, or one that sells his sword arm, a mercenary. They can all be done as Fighters in D&D, but really, who among them would go around calling themselves 'Bob the Fighter' all day?)

The diversity of anything D&D, really, would be a big no-no for TV or a series of movies. All of those kitchen sink choices we have for races, classes, gods, abilities, and so forth just wouldn't work trying to condense it all down into a movie. Why spend time explaining the difference between a cleric of Pelor vs. a cleric of Corellion to the audience if you've got a story to tell and can do it with one or just a few religions? The things that make D&D work as a game (you can do almost anything medieval fantasy-based with it and there are a lot of choices for everything) would make it flop as a show or movie.

The diversity in general would be a serious disconnect with how most people envision the time period the fantasy is based off of, in general. Those times aren't generally known for religious or racial tolerance. It would be jarring to most people to see a world where people run around in metal armor with horses, and hang out with the clerics of 10 different religions while chatting about their friends of 10 different races, who practice magic. Not even real life modern people are as open-minded as the average denizen of a D&D setting.

That said, you could probably get away with doing a movie or show that is a story that you could also easily emulate in a D&D campaign. And that would probably be better for the hobby than an actual D&D movie.

You would have to make sure that the writers understood they were telling a fantasy story rather than writing the narrative to an actual game session. You'd be better off to describe the world, the characters, and in vague terms what the characters can do without the game terminology to the writers until they hit their stride. Don't let them look at a single D&D rulebook until they've got a solid draft of the script down.

No terminology. The big guy that gets really angry and goes berserker on someone is the big berserker guy, not a Human Barbarian. You don't call out that he's called something different than the little psychotic guy that is good with knives and stabs people. Because it's unnecessary in terms of story. We need that terminology while gaming because it allows us to describe what is happening. You can just show people what is happening in a movie or TV show.

All of this removes any advantage WotC would have in licensing a show... all the things that would help them advertise the game are also things that would detract from the narrative of the story.

That said, it would have to be all human, perhaps one character with a hint of the otherworldly, Eladrin, Elf or Half-Elf. Primarily martial classes, perhaps one primal, with maybe one arcane character at most.

I'd look to shows like the BBC's Robin Hood to see how to do it. And possibly look for non-D&D worlds to do it in, perhaps like the setting of the Thief computer games or an alternate history Earth (probably the best option. The less time explaining the world, the more time to deal with character and story.)

A group of human martial characters, with perhaps a druid or shaman-like pagan character, or a toned-down wizard or warlock. That's as far as I'd push it.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My 5?

A big guy in skins with a big sword or axe who occasionally goes ape-nutz in combat. (In the alternative, a really short fuzzy guy with clawed gauntlets who does likewise.)

A smallish woman in stylish leathers with light weapons and lighter fingers.

A pointy-eared man lobbing spells. Perhaps he's dark-skinned. Maybe he doesn't actually use a spellbook.

A short barrel of a man with a beard & hammer, who prays a lot. Perhaps he has a sickle or staff instead. He lobs spells as well, but they're different.

A lanky athletic woman with a longsword & bow, wearing chain.

Like other posters above, I wouldn't use game terminology, and I'd deliberately blur the roles a bit. Perhaps the first guy actually slings a spell occasionally...or manifests unusual mental abilities. Perhaps the spell-lobber is a closet klepto. Maybe the woman with the bow has surprising religious fervor.

Oh yeah- and don't hold me to those 5 above. On a given day, I'd change out any of those.

Asmor

First Post
Let's see...

We need Leader, Leader's Girl, Rebel, Comic Relief Guy, and Big Softie.

Leader's a human warlord.
Leader's girl is an eladrin wizard.
Rebel's a human fighter.
Comic Relief Guy's a halfling rogue.
Big Softie's a dragonborn paladin.

Aus_Snow

First Post
As long as there's Lidda, it'll sell better. Oh wait. . .

Actually, I'd make it totally AD&D 1e, all the way. Unashamedly bizarre, S&S / high / weird fantasy, down the line. Base it off one or some of the iconic D&D adventures of all time (from the 1e era), or at least something in homage to them.

A magic-user, fighter, thief, cleric, and maybe paladin. Or perhaps a ranger.

Yep, that'd be the team. They get together for the usual reasons, whatever.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Let's see...

We need Leader, Leader's Girl, Rebel, Comic Relief Guy, and Big Softie.

Or...

Sarcastic, world-weary heroic Leader, Hero-worshiping young buck, Young buck's unrequited love, Cryptic Mystic and Little Softie.

(Hmmm..."Cryptic Mystic"...could be a game company, could be a prog-metal band.)

Remathilis

Legend
First off, let me begin by saying Record of the Lodoss War beat you to this about 18 years ago...

Secondly, lets assume your pulling a Hasbro (heh) and making a TV show to sell 4e.

You'd want to fill the five archetypes. So without further ado...

1.) HERO: Human fighter. You want someone the viewer can relate to. He's human (no funny race problems) and non-magical (aka he just kicks butt with a sword). Probably young, inexperienced, and slightly gullible.
2.) LANCER: Halfling Rogue. While the HERO is generally a nice guy and gullible, the halfling (easily detailed as small humans) is much more street-smart, savvy, get-things-done type. Wise cracking, devil-may-care, and usually thinking things out for the HERO when they're in a jam.
3.) SMART-GUY: Eladrin Wizard. Otherworldly, prone to giving advice, and aloof, but your typical magic user. Oddities can easily be explained as being a magical fey creature. Has a love/hate relationship with STRONG GUY (below) and is a mentor to the HERO.
4.) STRONG GUY: Dwarven Cleric. In contast to the SMART-GUY, he is devoted to Moradin (dwarf god) and thus doesn't step to hard on sensitive religous issues. Likes to fight and mix it up with his racial foes, but is wise enough to not be reckless and is another source of knowledge. Has a typical Dwarf/Elf relationship with SMART-GUY.
5.) CHICK: Half-Elf Swordmage. Beautiful, semi-human (but with exotic elf-features for the elf-lovers), good with a sword and magic, and is an occasional damsel in distress for the HERO when needed. Total love interest, but still a capable member 90% of the time.

Occasional or temp joiners might include a dragonborn paladin of Bahamut (a 6th ranger) or a tiefling warlock as a mentor/sacrifical lamb.

As for villains, You'd want all the typical. A red dragon. A lich. An Orc King. A drow. Oh, an an evil mage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads