• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you had to cut one element from the D&D game...

If you had to cut one element from the D&D game...

• Poll closed .

delericho

Legend
Of the elements you listed, the Arcane/Divine split is least useful. Besides, I think it has lingered beyond the point of any usefulness at this stage.

However, I would be inclined to consider removing any magic item that gives a flat bonus to a stat, attack, damage or skill roll. So, no more swords +1, belt's of giant strength, cloaks of elvenkind, or the like. Not because I think they're overpowered... I just think they're a bit dull, but they're mechanically preferable to more 'interesting' items.

Erratic K

First Post
#1: The grappeling rules... the source of more rules arguments at tables I've been at. This should just plain be abstracted with non-lethal damage or something that matches the rest of combat.

#2: I'd probably ditch some of the lighting rules too, especially magical light/darkness. We just ignore this type of problem.

#3: Level Adjustment is pretty poor as well. De facto it is removed from the player's side in the games I've played in, because no one has taken a LA race. So if it is a DM only tool, it is not a tool that is saving me time or effort as a DM and as such it is suboptimal.

#4: Weapon sizes based on size of creature. It is too complex right now. It needs simplification. I'd just do weapon groups- small weapons are for small creatures, medium for medium etc. Then have adjustments for using weapons more than one size class away from your current size (maybe -4 for each weapon size). Which leads to:

#5: spells that increase and decrease size: they need a little tuning so they fit with #4.

So I'd vote for the grappeling rules, but there are at least a few things I'd cut.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
EricNoah said:
Divine/arcane magic distinction. I want one big juicy spell list. And I want what makes casters different to be their "method" and their source of power.
Me, too. Maybe we could distinguish the casters by their domains, um, I mean spell spheres, or schools or something... :confused:

\advocate for one method of differentiating different types of spells

AoO because it is the least used and therefore the element with the smallest effect. Not that it has NO effect, just the smallest from the list.

Now that I think about it for a moment I actually should have voted other. What I have wanted since prior to SECOND edition was to see a revision of spells, assigning higher levels to those spells that have a greater impact on how the game plays, and eliminating the ability for effects to scale well beyond the level assigned to the spell. Simple, low-level spells like invisibility and fly would notably increase in level, and a spell like fireball or lightning bolt would not be so OVER-used compared to other spells of the same level.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Cool responses so far.

In my campaign, we did away with the Arcane/divine split..for wizards, sorcerers, and shugenja.

jh

Cryndo

Explorer
Andre said:
Alignment

Seconded. Alignment is far to subjective. I hate trying to cram my characters into one of those little boxes. And the poor player that wants to play a Paladin. Each DM has a different idea of what is kosher and what isn't for the Paladin. I'm much prefer a Code the Paladin must stick to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads