• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you have played 3.5e regularly within the past 5 years, what are you playing now?

Played 3.5e regularly within the past 5 years: What are you mainly playing now?

• 4e

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • 3.5e

Votes: 43 22.5%
  • Pathfinder

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Other (Variants, Older Versions, etc.)

Votes: 40 20.9%

• Poll closed .

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Why does it matter what anyone else is playing? Play what you and your group want to play.

Ultimately, you are right. However, the question has been raised, and this will hopefully objectively answer it.

So far, I'm seeing a fragmentation of the player base, which isn't surprising. We'll see how that develops until Saturday.

We have one member who strongly feels that we should continue with 4e, but he is by far the youngest of us. Maybe the player fragmentation is along age lines, considering the variable appeal of 4e? Subject to another poll, perhaps. :D

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Why does it matter what anyone else is playing? Play what you and your group want to play.

Kinda like asking what music other people are listening to, it's just pleasant conversation among like-minded people.

FWIW, we are playing 1e now and having a blast!

In February and March I ran a four week 3.5 adventure, The Taking of Giant's Reach, that I wrote. At the end of March I was at GaryCon III playing Chainmail (1973), (O)D&D (1974), and some 1E AD&D as well as a bunch of other games. Great times!

Dannager

First Post
Ultimately, you are right. However, the question has been raised, and this will hopefully objectively answer it.

So far, I'm seeing a fragmentation of the player base, which isn't surprising. We'll see how that develops until Saturday.

We have one member who strongly feels that we should continue with 4e, but he is by far the youngest of us. Maybe the player fragmentation is along age lines, considering the variable appeal of 4e? Subject to another poll, perhaps. :D

I've definitely found (anecdotally) 4e to have much greater appeal among those who have been playing for fewer than 20 years. Of course, given that I can count the number of people I've played with regularly with more than that level of experience on the fingers of a maimed hand, these anecdotes make extensive use of what I've seen people with that level of experience talking about playing online.

Deepfire

First Post
In Fantasy, our groups splitted to two 3.5 groups, one excellent Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplay and one Castles & Crusades group

Stormtower

First Post
Current campaigns:

Running -- D&D 3.5 (old, existing homebrew which will always be 3.5)
Running -- Pathfinder RPG / Pathfinder Society

Playing -- Legend of the 5 Rings 4th Ed. (homebrew)

Future -- as the ol' homebrew wraps up, conversion to PFRPG for both Paizo Adventure Paths and Pathfinder Society organized play.

I also ran D&D 4E sporadically to keep up my 4E skills for GenCon, where I judged games the past 3 years (2008-2010) in the Sagramore all weekend, but I have dropped my support for 4E since the Essentials launch/Online CB fiasco and haven't played it since.

Moleculo

First Post
we're still technically playing 3.5, but just started adding elements of Pathfinder for an eventual conversion. We gave 4E a shot but it wasn't our cup of tea.

Stormtower

First Post

One of D&D 4E's strengths is that its artwork and rules presentation seem to appeal to a slightly younger crowd. I judged 4E for at least 6-8 different enthusiastic teens who wouldn't touch the 3.5/OGL game with a proverbial 10' pole. I think this bodes well for 4E if WotC can get its virtual tabletop successfully out of beta and ported to some more platforms (XBOX live is a gold mine waiting to be capitalized on by VTT, in my opinion). I think the electronic integration they're attempting could pull in a lot of new, young customers. "Sims"-like customization tools for DMs would attract the kids with "builder" personalities and create the next generation of DMs, hosting their games with integrated voice chat on private or public XBOX live/PS3/PC.

Remove ads