• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E If you use Group Initiative (like my group does), why do you use it?

Gnashtooth

First Post
Pretty much the topic.

We're using the DMG rule for group initiative and have found that combat goes much much faster, and we coordinate better as a team. It also makes more believable behavior from the other side.

If you use it, why do you use it?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
In the times that I use group initiative, it is because I am running a system that present that as the standard rule. I too like that it makes the party coordinating much smoother since all the out-of-play strategy chat is done at once, rather than piece by piece on each of their turns with monster actions they didn't account for monkey-wrenching prior plans - though I do dislike having to resolve all of the monster's actions at one time because I see players' attention to what is going on fade the longer it isn't the party's turn.

I asked my group if they wanted to use it for 5th edition, and they said no because they would rather there be at least a chance that we alternate a player, then a few monsters, then a player or two, and so on.

I even asked if they wanted to use set initiative ratings so that we would more rapidly know what order participants went in (I think the DMG might call it "passive initiative", or that I am imagining seeing it there as an option), and they said no to that too because they would like monster to sometimes go first and most don't have great initiative monsters.

I was thinking about asking them how they feel about an initiative scheme like some minitatures games use where a roll is made to determine which side gets to choose whose side take a turn first, and then participants alternate turns until everyone has gone (like group initiative, but it would result in 1 PC, then 1 monster group, then 1 PC, and so on, instead of all of each side before all of the other side).

Pssthpok

First Post
Almost everyone in my group has a habit of trying to direct others on their turns, so I said "screw it, you all take the same turn at the same time now", and now they form strategies rather than arguments.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I want to use group initiative, but it disregards the initiative modifier completely.

Has anybody tried using it with a group initiative modifier?

For example, you add a group of five players with various initiative modifiers (+1+1-1+2+3=6) and take the average rounded down (in this case, group initiative modifier would be +1).

discosoc

First Post
I'm not using it now, but in the past I've used it to better signify how little time really passes between rounds (6 seconds usually). So it's sort of narrated as one side decides on a bunch of actions and executes them, and then the other side reacts with their actions. Combat feels faster, and not in the expected sense of less dice rolls. It just narrates faster.

Creamsteak

Explorer
We are using it in my Play By Post game. The logic there is that it saves me a TON of back and forth and time. I am fine with regular initiative, but with the medium I am playing in it seems like it has helped make combat faster... and combat is vastly slower in play-by-post. It needs the boost.

daHeadRat

Explorer
We're using the DMG rule for group initiative and have found that combat goes much much faster, and we coordinate better as a team. It also makes more believable behavior from the other side.

If you use it, why do you use it?
Pretty much those reasons plus I (as DM) don't have to track it. We started with the standard initiative and switched a few months ago. My group, as they'll readily admit, are not very tactical but they have been noticeable more so since we switched. Combats seem like they are speedier and feel a little more "satisfying" than when everyone was pretty much taking individual turns.

The rogue in the group has the Assassin archetype and so we introduced a slight tweak to the group initiative (I didn't come up with this...I read something along these lines somewhere). Each PC and each group of monsters roll initiative. Any PC that beats the highest monster group goes first in whatever order they want (with the rogue getting her Assassinate if she goes), then the highest monster group goes, then ALL of the PCs go, then ALL of the monsters go, and so on. It kind of lets the fastest of the fast get in a first blow and then all of the benefits of the group initiative. It does mean that some PCs (or monsters) might get an extra action in at the beginning but we're a pretty team oriented group so that doesn't really bother us.

DMCF

First Post
I've been doing group initiative for the NPCs because combat moves much faster when I blow through all the moves. I did "Round Robin Left/Right based on highest/2nd highest" but the players didn't like it and I agree it is pretty weak.

I'm thinking about doing the group initiative as well. My players aren't very strategic as a group because it is an Encounters game and only a few people are friends outside the store. Some get bored if others take their time to slow. I think if I let them think of strategies together they will move faster and get more comfortable with the notion of a "team" as an actual adventuring group would.

Last edited:

DMCF

First Post
Pretty much those reasons plus I (as DM) don't have to track it. We started with the standard initiative and switched a few months ago. My group, as they'll readily admit, are not very tactical but they have been noticeable more so since we switched. Combats seem like they are speedier and feel a little more "satisfying" than when everyone was pretty much taking individual turns.

The rogue in the group has the Assassin archetype and so we introduced a slight tweak to the group initiative (I didn't come up with this...I read something along these lines somewhere). Each PC and each group of monsters roll initiative. Any PC that beats the highest monster group goes first in whatever order they want (with the rogue getting her Assassinate if she goes), then the highest monster group goes, then ALL of the PCs go, then ALL of the monsters go, and so on. It kind of lets the fastest of the fast get in a first blow and then all of the benefits of the group initiative. It does mean that some PCs (or monsters) might get an extra action in at the beginning but we're a pretty team oriented group so that doesn't really bother us.

I like this. Reading the method feels like the "gun shot" at the start of a race. I think I will try the first round as normal (to account for surprise and special abilities) then I and 1 player do a 2nd initiative roll to see the group initiative. Being a superstitious bunch the team will likely settle on s/he with the "best" rolls.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'm an initiative junkie -- As a player I like being the first to go; it feeds some early cave man thrillometer. Nevertheless, in pbp, I'm very happy to forego that buzz if it makes it easier for the DM.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads