• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you were head of WotC what would you do?

hong

WotC's bitch
Thanee said:
Just in case, he's referring to the object-oriented programming language C++ there. :)

Smite

Sorry, if you actually knew that. :D

Smite

Oh, and I would get sacked after doing D&D v3.75, which is the re-revised version of v3.5 (including the more important non-core rulebooks, of course), and make it available for free

... on DriveThruRPG.

Hong "run away, run away" Ooi

Last edited:

d4

First Post
Thanee said:
Just in case, he's referring to the object-oriented programming language C++ there. :)

Sorry, if you actually knew that. :D
i did, so i probably should've said it'd be d21, since ++ means you only increment the variable by one, not two. ;) (i do know a little bit of programming...)

martynq

Explorer
LurkerFreak said:
Hire back all the creative talent we got rid of.
Stop rehashing old books with minor updates to bring them in line with the new edition.
Make sure all 3.5 books contained the 3.0 converted material because not eveyone wanted to replace books that were only a few years old.
Stop any other customer rip offs like these

I would make an immediate legally-binding commitment that neither I nor anyone after me could create a major change to the system. All future changes to the system would be accompanied by detailed (free) web releases to upgrade previous products so that people who own these products can continue to use them with the minor changes that have been implemented.

Martyn

Thanee

First Post
d4 said:
i did, so i probably should've said it'd be d21, since ++ means you only increment the variable by one, not two. ;)
:)

(i do know a little bit of programming...)
kk, as I mentioned, I actually expected you to know, but just in case... ;)

@hong: :p

Anyways, back to topic, the DriveThruRPG comment isn't at all bad... altho I'd publish printed books and give them out for free (you could then trade in your 3.0 or 3.5 books to get the new ones, one per customer), or you could download them for free as a .pdf (non-DRM (hope that's the right abbreviation) :D) version.

Hey, it would cost a bit, but it would surely please the 3.5-naysaying crowd, I guess. Thereby creating a happy customer base, which in future will buy all our totally uber-expensive products, accompanied by loud cheering. Of course, it's a conspiracy, it's always a conspiracy! ;)

Bye
Thanee

KenM

Banned
Banned
Crothian said:
I'd aquire the rightes and then create the Thieves World RPG.

Someone needs to do this!! :D

Back in the 1980's, someone put out a Sancuary city setting boxed set. Great maps, backround on the city of Theives world. Also one of the best city random encounter tables ever. Best of all, it had stats for all the major characters for alomost every major RPG system out at the time, including Travellier. :cool:
If I was head of WOTC, I would not lie to people, like for rxample, saying 3rd ed and 3.5 is totally compatible. I would also not make people buy a new set of core rules every few years. I'd go back to a new edtion with the time between 1st and 2nd ed, 2nd and 3rd, ect..

wocky

Masterwork Jabberwock
- I understand where the idea of a "d20 Corebook" comes from, but I don't think it'd make the game any friendlier. I'd rather publish a book that takes an in-depth look at rules in a "non friendly to learn but easy to reference" fashion (it'd have all rules applying to specific topics, like moving, combat, vision, hiding, polymorphing, etc. in a single location). It'd also include tips on playtesting, game balancing, creating new classes, feats, spells, etc.

- I'd change the OGL and d20 license to make it friendlier for software developers who want to create their own games or electronic tools. I'd promote an open source initiative to create an object oriented model of d20 that can be used in open source d20 computer games. I don't expect this to cause problems to current D&D video game publishers, since they'd still be the only ones to have the D&D brand license, and the millons of dollars needed to pay for motion capture, professional voice overs, 3D animations, etc.

- Hand Skip Williams' position to Hypersmurf. First assignment: fix the "bag full of puppies" situation.

- Ok... so I wouldn't be releasing modules either. I'd rather do something more like event books or "campaign locations" (with a "building block" mindset) that can be used to quickly create an adventure. They'd include lots of crunch, background, stats for NPCs, etc. They'd be different from current Forgotten Realms accesories because they'd be focused on smaller locales (like a single village and both the closest dungeon and castle). These would come packaged with a CD containing PDFs that the DM can hand out to the players for character building purpouses.

- I never played Planescape, but I like what I've read about the ideological background it provided. I'd release more books along the lines of BoVD and BoED but covering more specific mindsets (like a book dealing mostly with the political and philosophical mindset of creatures of the underdark). I'd try to get comic book authors like Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison and Alan Moore to collaborate in the fluff.

- I'd publish books for adventures on rivers and sea, in flying creatures and machines, etc. Appropriate books would include an in-depth look at combat in the air (a-la Dragonlance), chase rules (Spycraft style), and other useful bits. I'd incorporate these rules in the SRDs.

- I would publish a one-shot Campaign Accesory (like Ghostwalk) to provide material for Epic play. It'd probably be centered around the planes and incorporate spelljamming.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I WOULD USE MY POWER TO RULE THE WORLD!

And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth. All shall love me and despair!

... ahem ... sorry ...

* remove Greyhawk references from the core rules
* make the core Greyhawk book OGC
* create a line of minis to compete with Warhammer. The mass combat rules would be vaugely similar to d20, but emphasis would be on a workable mass combat game.
* I'd focus on fewer books, but increase production values. Lower-end support would be given on the web for free (WotC already does this though a large number of people don't seem to realize it).
* A new campaign setting every year to 18 months. Minimal support for these settings would be developed. After 3 years, the setting drops into OGC.
* Agressively market the brand to computer gaming companies with the mandatory stipulation that the core rules come with the game disks and that any "freebies" for the game's promotion would involve polyhydral dice.
* Develop one "core" adventure path that was non setting specific.
* Yearly small product giveaway to remote groups (e.g. deployed troops) Say a set of the core rules, dice, and the aforementioned adventure path. This is pretty much just cheap publicity, but it also gets people gaming who otherwise have little else to do, so my customer base grows a notch and I get to look like a nice guy.
* D&D board game that bears no relation to the rules, but gets the logo out.
* A boxed game built around the same lines as Warhammer Quest where the DM is essentially removed, the rules are simplifed, and encounters are randomized. It would be playable for 1-4 people.
* "Lidda Barbie" .... ok now I'm just getting silly.

Pramas

Explorer
Paladin said:
I wouldn't have shot the outside playtest program in the head, unceremoniusly. Not to mention that I wouldn't have forgotten a legion of playtesters who deserved credit. ***cough, Epic Level Handbook, cough, Ghostwalk***

Could be worse. :) You could watch work you did while an employee get recycled with no credit being given to you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads