D&D 5E If you were to rename the Halflings for a neutral setting, what would you name them? (thread 2/3)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
That only makes it work better then; it's already a multi-setting name. Use it in a few more and we can legitimately call it "generic."

I'm not sure that the fact it was used in two different works from the same source of IP ownership is the best argument that it's generic and available for reuse. I'd want to see if from multiple discrete sources.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm not sure that the fact it was used in two different works from the same source of IP ownership is the best argument that it's generic and available for reuse.

That's not what he's saying, though. He said, if it were to get used in a few more settings, we could then call it generic.

Since it's as good a name as any, I wouldn't mind it becoming the default term that halflings call themselves regardless of setting.

guachi

Hero
Gary

Or Hin. Though I don't know whether it appeared first in Forgotten Realms or The Five Shires Gazetteer. I assume it's FR as the Five Shires Gazetteer came out in 1988, a year after we had FR stuff.

EDIT: By "appeared" I mean appeared in print from TSR.

Irda Ranger

First Post
I don't know if it's neutral, but what I did (because I don't like halflings outside of Middle Earth) is named them "Rodens", and they're furry rodent people.

Lightfoot are re-named "Micin", and Stouts are re-named "Ratkin".

Obviously there's good opportunity here for Underdark halflings, aka "Mole Men".

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
In The Lord of the Rings, "hobbits" is what they call themselves, and a lot of non-hobbits call them "halflings". I think that makes the term not generic - unless your setting is Middle-Earth.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Personally I use "hin", but I was raised on Mystara, so of course I do.

I've always liked the idea that they call themselves "humans" and they call humans "big folk" or "giants". For gaming purposes that gets annoying, but in my view they just think of themselves as the default for people and everyone else are the weird ones. (To be fair, I suspect I get this from the Steven Brust Vlad Taltos books, where the humans call Dragaerans "elves" and the Dragaerans call themselves "humans" and call the humans "dwarfs". It's all a matter of perspective.)

Remove ads