• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Illithid Paladin?! Say what?

hammymchamham

First Post
So, I'm thinking of making an Illithid Paladin for a NPC for my campaign, so I just had some questions and would like some advice.

Now, would a generic Paladin have a problem with using an item to change his apperance? Would this be Un-lawful? Or against a Paladins code to decieve what he looks like?

How would a generic society respond? Assume a long range of socities (good, evil. lawful, chaotic)

And finally, how would you as a player react? Assume you're Good aligned (but not nessaciarly a Paladin or Lawful Good) and lost a fellow party member to a being with strange tentacles comming from its mouth.

PS. If it matters the game is set in the Realms.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I cannot think of a game I've ever been in where the instant reaction of anyone - even most other evil beings - to seeing an Illithid was not 'shoot first, then burn the body'.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
If their ever was an example of being 'too creative', this is it ... I love it.

IME, every PC or NPC who has any clue on the nature of illithids kill them on sight if possible.

They are thematically just psionic/cthuluesque variants of vampires. How many Good aligned vampires have you met in your campaigning? Probably so few that you stake first and ask questions later.

drnuncheon

Explorer
hammymchamham said:
So, I'm thinking of making an Illithid Paladin for a NPC for my campaign, so I just had some questions and would like some advice.

I would think that whole "feeds on the brains of sentient creatures" thing would kind of get in the way of being 'good'. YMMV.

J

Intrope

First Post
Illithid Paladins really need to ride around on a Hydra mount called Buffet--solves the food problem without causing alignment issues! (they grow back, after all...) :D

hammymchamham

First Post
now, do they need to eat brains to survive? or can my paladin have forsaken that? maybe a ring of sustenance is needed?

Their alignment is "Usually Lawful evil" At least he has the lawful part. But that just seems to be that evil is part of Mindflayer society

I'm going to make this guys stat block now (mostly since I'm bored). I want him to be a MAJOR dude. So, I'll make him a 15th level Paladin. That would make him a CR 23.

Plus it will be fun to be able to say, at least one more time: "Mind flayer. I win. You lose." That is, if my players ask "So, we're rolling initiative here?"

hammymchamham

First Post
anyway, as I was going to type but forgot. for this guys background, perhaps he was just a Illithud pup (if thats what the young are called?? :) when a great Paladin found him. And instead of converting the pup by the sword, he decied to try bringing this child up in the Paladin order. Perhaps (and most likely) at an older age the child found out about his heritage and vowed to show the world that not ALL of his kin are evil.

Most of this is comming from my own strange desire to PLAY such a guy. But I've never had a "Ok, we're starting a campaign at 16th level."

OR

Perhaps the Mindflayer eats the brains of only evil beings that threaten society?? Or would that be Evil as well?

Sarellion

Explorer
Ridley's Cohort said:
They are thematically just psionic/cthuluesque variants of vampires. How many Good aligned vampires have you met in your campaigning? Probably so few that you stake first and ask questions later.

Well the groups in my campaign world met 5 good ones (one they never knew of) and 4 bad ones, ok 7 bad ones if you count in the henchman of a couple but they don't count. Of this guys they staked, eh, one?!? Another one they tried to kill but it did not work out.

One of our groups worked even for one in a campaign. The powergamers of one group were more evil and greedy than nearly any of my villains and it wasn't an evil campaign. Better don't ask. :rolleyes:

Ridley's Cohort said:

They are thematically just psionic/cthuluesque variants of vampires.

Not really. A vampire can feed without killing its subject. A Mind-Flayer as far as I would imagine pretty well kills or permanently cripples its victim since it is feeding on brain matter which does not get replaced like blood does.

Kesh

First Post
Just like vampires, an illithid can find ways around its problem. Perhaps, as part of its code, it refrains from killing in order to feed. Thus, only brains from those who died of natural causes would be allowed.

But, that's going to be difficult to do in most fantasy campaigns. The temptation's going to be strong, especially when he may go days or even weeks between meals.

Oooh... an angst-ridden illithid! :D

Anyway, yes, a ring of sustenance would be a virtual requirement.

And remember, being Lawful does not mean the same thing to every religion/society. I've always thought of it as meaning that the individual in question follows a strict set of rules for living.

In some cases, that means sticking to the law of the land. In others, it means abiding by the laws of the church, regardless of societal law. And others simply follow a self-made 'code of honor', or work under a geas from their god.

So, no, there may not be a problem for this illithid paladin using magic to hide his true nature. It all depends on its code.

Remove ads