• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Illithid playable race

cmrscorpio

Explorer
I'm looking for some feedback to help me balance this out.

Illithid Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence & Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 7
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Deep Speech, telepathy 10
Skill Bonus: +2 Bluff
Mind Blast: You can use mind blast as an encounter power.
Bore into Brain: You can use bore into brain as an at-will power.

Mind Blast Encounter
Standard Action Close burst 5
Targets: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Intelligence + 2 vs Will or Wisdom + 2 vs Will or Charisma + 2 vs Will
Increase to +4 at 11th level, +6 at 21st level
Hit: 1d4 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).
Increase the damage to 2d4 + Intelligence modifier at 11th level and 3d4 + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and do not change the power’s other effects.

Bore into Brain At-Will
Standard Action Melee
Target: Grabbed or stunned creature.
Attack: Strength + 2 vs Fortitude or Dexterity + 2 vs Fortitude or Constitution + 2 vs Fortitude.
Hit: 1d6 + Dexterity modifier damage and the target is dazed (save ends). If this power reduces the target to 0 hit points or fewer, you devour its brain, killing it instantly.
Increase the damage to 2d6 + Dexterity modifier damage at 11th level and 3d6 + Dexterity damage at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and do not change the power’s other effects.

eriktheguy

First Post
Bore into the brain
Special: If you kill a creature with this attack you absorb a few memories that creature had. You may roll Bluff against the creatures will defense to learn a memory relevant to a specific fact (DM's choice).

For example, if you want to know where the creature keeps it's treasure, and you succeed the bluff check, you might absorb a memory of the creature turning a large brass key in an iron door underground.

bganon

Explorer
Speed 7, darkvision, telepathy, and mind blast all at once seem awfully powerful. You've got something rather like an elf (stat bonuses across two defenses, speed 7 and a strong racial power), but with quite a bit extra on top (darkvision, telepathy, and another decent racial power).

I'd probably save the telepathy for a racial feat, consider dropping the speed to 6 (I don't see the flavor), but most definitely I'd gimp mind blast or remove it entirely (it could be a feat of it's own, or a combined feat that also grants the telepathy). A burst 5 that targets enemies only, attacks Will, and dazes is way better than any other racial power. I think a blast 3 that hits everyone would be more appropriate. And the duration on both Mind Blast and Bore Into Brain should be "until the end of your next turn" rather than "save ends".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads