• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Illusionary Cone of Cold

Khelvan

First Post
Perhaps someone here can help me where to find the rules about this.
I know they exist but dont know where to find them.

If a mage casts an illusionary cone of Cold and the target fails its saving roll.
What happens with the damage if it 4 rounds later learns that the
cone was an illusion?
Does the damage stay?

Thanks

Khelvan

Dross

Explorer
I don't have a rules quote, but my thought is that the wounds stay as they are instantaneous effects, but any ongoing effects like bleeding would stop.

which might beg the Q: Illusionary Curing?

Thurbane

First Post
I'm pretty sure in the current rules, illusions can't cause damage, real or imagined. You might need something like Shadow Evocation. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

Someone

Adventurer
Figments (like using Silent or Major image to form the illusion of a Cone of cold spell) don't ever cause damage; the target would recognize the spell as an illusion immediately most of the time because he's not frozen, which would count as "incontrovertible proof" that the illusion isn't real.

Evocation spells mimicked through Shadow evocation or similar do what the description does. If the victim fails the saving throw it suffers the damage the spell says it suffers, and it stays regardless of if he later discovers it wasn't a real evocation.

phindar

First Post
It would be kind of funny if an illusionist kept firing fake Cone of Cold spells at a rogue who thought the reason he wasn't taking damage was his Evasion. No real game effect to it, but it'd be funny. To me.

backbeat

First Post
phindar said:
It would be kind of funny if an illusionist kept firing fake Cone of Cold spells at a rogue who thought the reason he wasn't taking damage was his Evasion.

It would be funnier if the rogue was a changeling disguised as a fighter.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What would be REALLY funny to me is a Gnome Illusionist Shadow Mage with all the appropriate feats to make their shadow evocations MORE real than the spell they are replicating against a target that MAKES it's save. The Killer Gnome combo at the WOTC Optimization boards get's up to 120%+ real shadow spells I believe :mad:

Remove ads