• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Illusions

dema

First Post
Any word on Illusions. By that I mean, like the old spectral force, advanced illusion, programmed illusion, hallucinatory terrain, phantasmal force type spells. I'm talking about those illusion spells which can get really nutty, but when done right let you escape, evade, bypass and bluff.

There was an old Dragon article back in the 1e days which gave some excellent guidelines/rules for illusions. I have always hoped it would make it mainstream but it hasn't.

Kordeth

First Post
dema said:
Any word on Illusions. By that I mean, like the old spectral force, advanced illusion, programmed illusion, hallucinatory terrain, phantasmal force type spells. I'm talking about those illusion spells which can get really nutty, but when done right let you escape, evade, bypass and bluff.

There was an old Dragon article back in the 1e days which gave some excellent guidelines/rules for illusions. I have always hoped it would make it mainstream but it hasn't.

There may be some illusions in the PHB, but the last official word we got from WotC is that illusions, like necromancy and enchantment, will probably be saved for a different sourcebook where a unique class built around it can be featured, rather than making wizard the "I can do everything that's magic" class. Best guess for illusionist is that it will probably be a controller with the "shadow" power source that's been hinted at.

Kordeth said:
There may be some illusions in the PHB, but the last official word we got from WotC is that illusions, like necromancy and enchantment, will probably be saved for a different sourcebook where a unique class built around it can be featured, rather than making wizard the "I can do everything that's magic" class. Best guess for illusionist is that it will probably be a controller with the "shadow" power source that's been hinted at.
I think it works a bit like this:
There will be Illusions, Necromancy and Enchantment-like spells in the PHB I. But you won't be able to play a character that will exclusively use any of them, since there won't be enough powers to cover all your daily, encounter and utility powers. Very powerful (at least from a story-telling perspective) effects of each type (like maybe Major Image, Create Undead or Dominate Monster) will probably also not be part of the standard wizard repertoire. They might be rituals, or they might be reserved for later classes.
Illusionist, Necromancers and Psions will probably have a more complete complement of such spells.

---

Otherwise, I think we have seen three Illusions so far:
- Invisibility (Greater or Improved?). Makes you invisible, you must sustain the power, and it still ends if you attack someone
- Displacement: Force attack reroll as a immediate interrupt
- Mirror Image: Grants AC Bonus, is reduced every time attack misses you.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
I hate with 4e that they basically took the game and divided it in half to sell the rest off later.
Meh, I don't see it like that. I see it as, they choose delibrately to concentrate and finally tune a selection of classes and fully stat them out, and make them complete classes in the first PHB and leave the rest for the same treatment in the second PHB.

Rather then place them all within one book and have them be incomplete, less playtested, less concentrated on and not fully established.

Essentially quality over quantity.

I rather leave Druids, Bards, Barbarians, Monks, Necromancers, etc. to the second PHB then have them be designed badly and shoved into the first PHB.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Meh, I don't see it like that. I see it as, they choose delibrately to concentrate and finally tune a selection of classes and fully stat them out, and make them complete classes in the first PHB and leave the rest for the same treatment in the second PHB.

Rather then place them all within one book and have them be incomplete, less playtested, less concentrated on and not fully established.

Essentially quality over quantity.

I rather leave Druids, Bards, Barbarians, Monks, Necromancers, etc. to the second PHB then have them be designed badly and shoved into the first PHB.

Except that they could have done the iconic work, but instead chose to give us Tieflings, Dragonborn, Warlords, and Warlocks.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
Except that they could have done the iconic work, but instead chose to give us Tieflings, Dragonborn, Warlords, and Warlocks.

I'm happy that they decided to innovate as well as continue with what was going on before.

Besides, the Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Fighter, Wizard, Cleric and Rogue are all in the PHB - how more iconic could they have got?

Larrin

Entropic Good
Brown Jenkin said:

They could have, but then we might not see anything new until phbIII or so. These guys are making a new system, they want to include new things. 75% old +25% new for classes and races is pretty darn fair, i'm certainly not going to tell the designers they can ONLY work on remakes of old material.

and to the OP, Yeah, i wonder about illusionists, 4e has potential for making them flavorful and distinct, something not see for a while in the last few edditions

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Necromancer Games should publish an Advanced Player Guide written by Ari Marmell that will also include an illusionist.

Remove ads