I'm almost afraid to ask...

Exactly, there will be no roleplaying here.
There will be roleplaying. There will not be free-form setting alteration.

You can play a bard and create magic with your harp, or you can pull components out of a pouch and use those to cast a spell. You cannot invent a new type of magic which does not exist within the world, and then play a character who practices that. You are a player. You are not the setting designer.

Know your place. If you don't want to be a player, because you find it too restrictive, then you can be the DM next time and then you can call the shots.

Cascade

First Post
No, just honest advice. If you're playing in a role-playing game, then play the role you have created for yourself, within the world that has been presented for you.

As a player, stop trying to be the DM.

Kinda of NOT what the Players Handbook states: PHB pg 3

Playing D&D is an exercise in collaborative creation.
You and your friends create epic stories filled with tension
and memorable drama. You create silly in-jokes
that make you laugh years later. The dice will be cruel
to you, but you will soldier on. Your collective creativity
will build stories that you will tell again and again,
ranging from the utterly absurd to the stuff of legend.

I think we may be playing different games.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
I'm still waiting to hear an actual reason. One was alluded to.

I could see push-back for motion economy requiring four arms. One object requiring one hand to hold and possibly two to operate is possibly reimagined as another requiring one hand to hold and possibly two to operate. Not really a case on that score.

A component pouch has been suggested and accepted as a compromise. No problems there.

Spell list is still straight off the bard list, aside from possible multiclass or Magic Initiate elaboration. Hardly a whole new class of magic.

It's not like I was insisting the puppet be a familiar on top of everything else. I might work that out in a home game but for AL that's just not going to happen, I get that.

Since we live a thousand miles apart I don't imagine we'll ever be at the same table.

So the only guess I can make about the vehemence here is that Saelorn is personally creeped out by dolls, puppets, and dummies. Given that this is a horror trope and a horror season and they kind of complement each other, it just seems to be mission accomplished.

Last edited:

I'm still waiting to hear an actual reason. One was alluded to.
The actual reason is because that isn't how magic works within the setting. Changing how magic works, for the sake of one player, would be a disservice to the setting and to every other player at the table who has agreed to play in that setting.

In this specific case, it's also an issue of tone. Someone casting spells via puppet show is somewhat sillier than the baseline setting, which already includes song-based magic and gnomes. Indeed, you acknowledged the absurdity of the situation in the original post, and stated that it was part of the appeal for you. Especially in an AL game, though, not everyone has signed up to play in that kind of game.

I think we may be playing different games.
There's bound to be some variation between tables, but the part you quote isn't actually relevant to the topic at hand. You can collaboratively tell an epic story of tension and drama just through roleplaying and following the dice.

The relevant text, explaining the roles of player and DM, is scattered elsewhere throughout the PHB and DMG.

Ovinomancer1981

First Post
Totally agree with TwinPeaksGuy. Just use a component pouch.
Off course feats like Actor and skills like deception would probably be almost mandatory for such concept.

I would totally allow such a character on my table, but remember it all it is all in good fun. Remember, with the nature of organized play, not all people will be amused by the concept or are even offended.
In such a case, just tone it down a bit.

Also as Saelorn roughly put it, this season is all about suspense and pacing. While humor is a important break from the horror theme (as the Curse of Stradh book clearly states), don't force sillyness from your character as that might break the tension that the DM tries to build up.

So the TL;DR version; off course your concept would work technically and 'RP-wise', just don't overdo it or you might ruin the fun of others.
And off course with AL and the DMs involved your mileage may vary (so have a backup idea for your character)

Remove ads