• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm an archer: why shouldn't I be a beast master ranger?

Zsig

Explorer
I think Prime Shot is way too much circunstancial.

Most of the times it works is when you should be running and not standing... other rare times it'll trigger you won't even remember it exists.

I've seen now several people playing archer rangers (and warlocks to some extent) and it's always like that.

All it's missing though is a way that would allow other kind of rangers to get an animal companion via feat or something else.

Also, from the looks of what people keeps talking about the kinds of animal companions, it seems that there are significant types of gameplay styles built into the animals. A "beartank" while you keep distance with the bow, "wolf pack" playing with melee and flanking targets, using the bird to fly through the battlefield to place your Quarry on the right target and going spiker/sniper, etc, makes for a quite interesting feature. Even considering I don't like strikers in general, I could almost see me trying one of these...

Rechan

Adventurer
Also, from the looks of what people keeps talking about the kinds of animal companions, it seems that there are significant types of gameplay styles built into the animals. A "beartank" while you keep distance with the bow, "wolf pack" playing with melee and flanking targets, using the bird to fly through the battlefield to place your Quarry on the right target and going spiker/sniper, etc, makes for a quite interesting feature. Even considering I don't like strikers in general, I could almost see me trying one of these...
Realize they're not TOO different from one another.

For instance, compare the Bear AC: 12+Level, HP 16+10/lvl, Atk Lvl+2, Damage 1d12 vs. most which have AC 14+lvl, Hp: 14+8/lvl, atk Lvl+4, damage 1d8. That's a slight difference, but not significant. The most significant difference is that the raptor has hp 12+6/lvl, lvl+5 hit, dmg 1d6.

Cadfan

First Post
I can understand not liking Prime Shot on a mechanical level, but in terms of power balance, giving up +1 to attack is hardly giving up nothing.

RefinedBean

First Post
Why do you hate it?

Rechan mentioned that it's one more thing to track, for a mere +1 bonus. Yes, I know +1 to Attack is great and all, we should all throw PARADES around a +1 to attack, but still, counting squares between you and every enemy, and then from said enemy to any other ally, is no fun.

The MAIN reason I hate it, though, is because it just doesn't come up that often in any of the games I play in. Honestly, if a Striker is doing their job right, they're hitting creatures locked down by a Defender's mark. With a well-populated party, there's pretty much always going to be another character, usually melee, who's closer to all other enemies than you are.

It's a nice little thing when taken out of context, but in the context of 4E and its focus on tactical combat, it just never works out. If it IS working out, your Archer Ranger is probably going to be charged next round, which also isn't good. ;)

But YMMV, some people probably love Prime Shot to death and work it into getting it nearly every round...which I imagine is difficult, but doable with a little help from your friends. (shrug)

Last edited:

Zsig

Explorer
Realize they're not TOO different from one another.

For instance, compare the Bear AC: 12+Level, HP 16+10/lvl, Atk Lvl+2, Damage 1d12 vs. most which have AC 14+lvl, Hp: 14+8/lvl, atk Lvl+4, damage 1d8. That's a slight difference, but not significant. The most significant difference is that the raptor has hp 12+6/lvl, lvl+5 hit, dmg 1d6.

I don't have the book yet, so I'm basicly going with what people are saying, but Ew, the bear sucks. He won't ever hit a thing (well, maybe other brutes, but that's all).

But still the raptor can fly, and so you can use your Quarry through it, which is kind of a good thing (I know there's lots of ways of doing thatalready but...)

I also remember someone saying something about the wolf with good to-hit bonus and something that happens while flanking (or was it Combat Advantage?).

Drakhar

First Post
I don't have the book yet, so I'm basicly going with what people are saying, but Ew, the bear sucks. He won't ever hit a thing (well, maybe other brutes, but that's all).

But still the raptor can fly, and so you can use your Quarry through it, which is kind of a good thing (I know there's lots of ways of doing thatalready but...)

I also remember someone saying something about the wolf with good to-hit bonus and something that happens while flanking (or was it Combat Advantage?).

+Wolfs wis modifier damage when it has Combat Advantage (so flanking too)

Rechan

Adventurer
Rechan mentioned that it's one more thing to track, for a mere +1 bonus. Yes, I know +1 to Attack is great and all, we should all throw PARADES around a +1 to attack, but still, counting squares between you and every enemy, and then from said enemy to any other ally, is no fun.

The MAIN reason I hate it, though, is because it just doesn't come up that often in any of the games I play in. Honestly, if a Striker is doing their job right, they're hitting creatures locked down by a Defender's mark. With a well-populated party, there's pretty much always going to be another character, usually melee, who's closer to all other enemies than you are.
This.

But my main issue is that it's like the Dodge feat from 3e; it's way more easy to forget.

Cadfan

First Post
I kind of like it because between Prime Shot and Defensive Mobility there's an entire skirmisher strategy built into the class. I don't forget it because its at the forefront of my mind at all times- maneuever around the edges, shoot target.

I especially want to play a Tiefling Warlock, so I can combine Prime Shot and Bloodhunt. It just sounds fun.

If you don't like it though, might as well go with the animal companion.

Remove ads