• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm at a loss on how to handle this - Need advice

reveal

Adventurer
This afternoon, I got an e-mail from my grandmother.

Grandma said:
tony i.m going to come up and see you i have a map to come by love you nana

Ok.... I wrote back and asked when she was planning on coming up.

Grandma said:
after the 3ed will that be ok with you

Now here's the thing: I don't like my grandmother. Up until about seven years ago, she was always nice to me. But over the last few years, she's changed. I learned from my mom that she's (my grandma) always been mean to her (my mom) and said things to belittle her. I never heard anything like that growing up, but my parents said it happened a lot when I wasn't around.

Also, my grandmother no longer speaks to my dad. She is one of those people that will beg for money and promise to pay you back and never does. And if you don't lend her more money later, she'll tell you she's a bad person.

She's also manipulative. She no longer speaks to my father because she threatened to kill herself if he didn't come and see her (or something like that I'm not sure exactly why she threatened to do this and my dad won't tell me.) She's tried to "guilt-trip" me before and I've told her, in specific terms, that trying to make me feel guilty will never work. She says "you sound just like your father." I take it as a compliment. ;)

Anyway, my problem is that, while I don't like her, she's still my grandmother and I don't want to just say ":):):):) no, take your psycho ass elsewhere." Especially since she wants to see her great-grandson, whom she's never met before. So what do I do? How do I say no? There's no way I want her in my house. I wouldn't mind going to her place for a few hours (she lives in Alabama) but that's because I can leave when I want to.

We are planning on going to Florida over the week of July 4. Maybe we can go north a bit (it's a 4 hour trip) and visit for a bit.

Xath

Moder-gator
It depends. If you feel she's going to be emotionally abusive to your son, don't let her come up. If not, a few days won't kill you.

However, make sure you do a few things:
1. Establish specific days for her visit. Make sure you know when she's arriving, and when she is leaving. This prevents the "visit" that lasts for months/years.
2. Don't give her any money.
3. Don't let her manipulative nature affect you. Just because she's your grandmother doesn't mean she should be able to treat you like crap. If she sasses you, point it out to her. Just don't let your son get in the middle.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I am stuck in a similar predicament.

My advice? Be nice to your grandmother and be nice to your parents. You don't have as much time with any of them as you might think.

reveal

Adventurer
I got an e-mail about an hour ago that made up my mind.

Psycho said:
tony well i have my answer i guess

This was because I hadn't responded to her in a couple of hours. Nevermind that I was at work. Anyway, I responded.

Me said:
I was at work when I answered your first e-mail. Just because I didn't get back to you within a couple of hours does not mean that I was not thinking about it. But of course, you decided to try and make me feel guilty instead, which makes my answer easier. No, there is not a good time in January for you to come up, especially when you invite yourself without asking if it's even ok first.

We will be down in Florida during the week of July 4. The plan is to rent a car and make a day trip up to Montgomery to see you. I want you to meet your great-grandson but I will not be guilted into it.

I'm sure I'll get a churlish response from her, but I don't care at this point.

Thanks for everyone's advice. :)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I don't have any advice, but I hope you grandmother comes around.

As my family learned on 9/11, life's way too short.

I really hope this has a happy ending for you, reveal. You're a good guy and good father, and you deserve it. :)

DaveStebbins

First Post
I know you've already sent your response, but I'm going to quote a couple of previous answers for truth:

Xath said:
However, make sure you do a few things:
1. Establish specific days for her visit. Make sure you know when she's arriving, and when she is leaving. This prevents the "visit" that lasts for months/years.
2. Don't give her any money.
3. Don't let her manipulative nature affect you. Just because she's your grandmother doesn't mean she should be able to treat you like crap. If she sasses you, point it out to her. Just don't let your son get in the middle.
This is very good advice. Set rules and be ready to stick to them.

Wormwood said:
My advice? Be nice to your grandmother and be nice to your parents. You don't have as much time with any of them as you might think.
As someone with no living parents or grandparents except my mom (currently in decline at a local nursing home), I'll agree with this advice as well.

Good luck.
-Dave

reveal

Adventurer
DaveStebbins said:
As someone with no living parents or grandparents except my mom (currently in decline at a local nursing home), I'll agree with this advice as well.

Good luck.
-Dave

Me too. I love my parents and have a very strong relationship with them. It's like I posted elsewhere:

"But why should anyone force themselves to put with someone else boorish, argumentative, insulting, and rude behavior simply because they're an elder? If my grandmother hasn't changed by now, I doubt she ever will. It's just not worth putting up with."

She denies she has a problem, so nothing's going to change.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads