• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm bored with it all.

Sanzuo

First Post
I'm bored with it all.

Go here. Fetch this thing. Kill this guy. It's all the same thing over and over.

Whenever I watch a film or read a book it's always a lot more interesting. There are characters with personalities and character flaws. There is intrigue and betrayal. There is evolution and dynamic. Not in terms of leveling up. I'm talking about characters that evolve and change and learn life lessons.

I almost never get that out of a game I'm running. I try to entice the players with political intrigue and they just charge in swords and spells swinging. I try to play horror-suspense and they respond with assault rifles.

I've grown complacent, so I just give them what they want. Stuff to pwn and phats to loot.

But I'm getting tired of it. I want to run a game just once where the players aren't thinking about their attack bonuses. Where the idea of stepping into combat is a dangerous and foolhardy endeavor. Where they are willing to stop for a moment and think, "What is my character's motivation?"

Maybe it's me. I think a lot of the time that I'm not clever or original enough to motivate the players with things other than carnage and gold. Maybe I'm being unrealistic and there really isn't anything besides these things.

What do you think?

weem

First Post
I get where you are coming from.

While I am very happy to be playing/DM-ing again (last did so when 3e was new), my new (current) players (I have moved since back then) really aren't into the RP aspect. I am in the same boat as far as pretty much giving them what they want, but I still try as best I can to get them involved from an RP aspect.

So, a good question to ask yourself (I did the same) was... if I made a game that gave no XP for combat, but rather for good RP-ing, skill challenges, etc - would they be interested in playing it? If so, you can probably make some changes to your current game. Maybe start lowering the combat XP a bit (secretively maybe?) and tell them you will be implementing an XP "bonus" for RP-ing. You could tell them that you aren't looking for LARP-ing, but just more involvement in who their characters are etc.

Maybe tell them to no longer tell you what ability they are using, but instead describe what they do followed by the appropriate rolls. You could even give bonus XP for very cinematic or awe inspiring descriptions that are followed by crits, etc. Kind of like Exalted.

It's a small thing, but it can start to steer them in that direction while at the same time rewarding them with the XP'z they want.

For me, I am considering starting a second campaign where RP-ing plays a much bigger role. If I do this I would make that known up front and anyone who didn't want to play, of course wouldn't have to. I know some who would - I do have a few good RP-ers - but some others I'm not so sure about. That way I have games I run that I really enjoy running for the RP aspect, and another that is fun for the sake of mowing things down and hangin out with friends at the same time.

Anyway, just some quick thoughts on my way through ;)

Last edited:

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Honestly?

Be ruthless, and totally brutal in a staggered series of encounters...or even the segue into a whole new scenario, and just rip them down.

"TO THE GROUND, BABY!";)

The thing is, *YOU* must put a lot of thought and effort--remember who you're dealing with here--into teaching them a very difficult and painful lesson.

The lesson is simply this:

You can't burn down, hack, *pwn* everything in your path, all the time.
Thinking that you can will just get you into an early grave after suffering a hugely embarassing death.

As the DM, you have to carefully and patiently train *hack & slashers* to learn to use other skills besides a battle-axe for every person or obstacle they encounter.

On one hand, you, as the DM, need to design scenarios where the party simply cannot accomplish the mission, gain the ally, rescue someone, gain influence with a noble, etc, etc, by swinging an axe at the problem. You have to design the scenario so that RP methods, drama, social manuevering, bribing, seduction, politics, negotiation, making friends, helping people or creatures with non-violent problems, whatever--is what wins. And make sure you reward them well for learning, and being smart enough to play their characters as something more than one-dimensional meat-cleavers. It's a process, though, so be patient...

But start being ruthless immediately!

Your patience is in designing scenarios, and letting them die over and over again. If necessary, have a friendly NPC sternly and patiently *tutor* them. Dropping hints and offering alternative suggestions for solving problems that don't involve them using the flamethrower.;)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

fba827

Adventurer
sounds like you are quickly approaching dm burn out (if not already there).. any chance another person in the group will take over DMing for a while?

But on topic -- how much focus do your players put in to backgrounds? If none, give out a little xp for making a background. And then, take the backgrounds and find an adventure in them. it will make the characters more connected if it's their father they end up fighting, etc.

but if the underlieing cause is that your prefred style is not aligning with your players style then it will just lead to continued frustration until you find a happy-medium...

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Well, start with the game you're using. Do you want to stick with D&D or can you branch out into other games, like D20 Modern, Vampire and its assorted cohorts, Champions/Hero, etc?

If you want to stick with D&D, start a new campaign. Ignore the base assumptions of the D&D system. Go dark. They start in a war torn world where money, weapons, magic, are all tightly controlled. The "special" PC classes aren't available...bard, druid, monk, paladin, ranger, wizard (no one to teach!)Let the PCs be barbarians, clerics, fighters, rogues, sorcerers (inborn talent), they start with no more than 5 gp and a tattered set of clothes each. Magic items can't be bought and rarely found. Powerful wizards with armies of dread creatures rule the world.
Turn the PCs loose. They will have to survive...just survive....food, shelter..these will become treasure. There's no McGuffin to find, no princess to rescue, no evil necromancer to kill (well, that they have a prayer of taking on anyway). They will have to be smart and resourceful to survive, won't be able to take on any opponent because there aren't any magic swords, or fancy full plate for the likes of these PCs. Or and Mr Sorcerer? Better be careful will flashy magic.....if the Mages who rule everything find out about a rogue magic-user, it's sayonara.

This kind of game should make them appreciate their character's strengths as a whole, not just BAB. The PCs matter not the gear.
And give them lots of RP opportunities. With XP rewards.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Well I feel my group reach a moment of catharsis last session. They ran from a fight. They have never ran from a fight before. Ever. In 3 years of playing every week they have always stood toe to tow with everything I have put before them confident they will win. I finally, after dropping numerous hints and even having NPCs outright tell them the area they were in was really dangerous, out them up against a group of monsters they couldn't beat. And they ran. They ran as far and as long as they could. SO I let them go (after the Orc Wizard blasted them a couple of times with some long range magic). It felt great. They were a little disheartened but overall relieved and they still had fun. I think that was a shock for most of them. To flee and still find the session rewarding. Failure does not have to mean complete party death.

kinem

Adventurer
Sanzuo, you might have better luck with a non-d20 game, if your players are willing to try it. Seventh Sea might work, or Cthuhu, or even Shadowrun.

Not that you can't do all the RP in D&D, but it's harder to get started, because of the leveling-up system. And I don't just mean give rewards for RP - I mean that leveling up, in and of itself, is too good of a reward for anything else to matter in the PC's life.

edit: Heck, even slowing down the level progression won't help, because then if you miss out on some XP and everyone else levels up first you'd be behind for a long time.

Last edited:

Sanzuo

First Post
Thanks for the encouraging words.

I think DM burnout might be the root of it all. Every week I find it harder and harder to come up with some new "adventure" that isn't a chain of combat encounters.

My problem is I can't think of playing D&D any other way. Also I think it's affected the way I run other systems as well.

Although one time I started an Exalted campaign where the players started the game as adolescent kids all living in a tiny village together. The first session began as the village was having it's spring festival and to keep the kids busy the adults sent them on a scavenger hunt. The players had to follow clues, go from one end to the village to the other and even do some in-game research and solve a language cipher. This culminated into a small brawl in the woods with a rival village bully over the prize and an encounter with a mad, mutated wyld barbarian. Imagine how frightening that would be for a 13-year-old.

I loved that session because of the amount of creativity I put into it. But then I remember the following session being more standard fare and not being as fun. Then we never played again.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
If you think there are issues with combats being too often and not being deadly enough, stop building "balanced" encounters. Give them some ridiculously easy stuff to trounce, and then put them up against the unstoppable.

Most of all, roll your dice out in the open. If they see that you're not cheating to kill them, then they know it's their fault...they should have run away from the Tarrasque.

But it sounds more and more like DM burnout.

One remedy that'll keep you playing: run some premade stuff.

I ran my own custom-built everything in every game all the time for damn near 20 years. It was growing stale near the end, even though I'd perfected my organization and my "play-style." Worse, it didn't matter what game we played, it was just as stale and hard for me to be excited about, even if the stories and setting and rules were excellent.

Anyway, I finally said "$#@@ this, I'm running Lost City of Barakus (levels 1-5) and Red Hand of Doom (5-12ish)." So far it's been the most consistently fun campaign I've ever run. By leaps and bounds, even. And I'd only half-heartedly tried premade stuff before.

It's nice having 90% of the work done for me. I just work the player's background into the story, restat a creature here or there if I feel like it, and I'm off. Way more time to think about NPC personalities and histories for the unique magic items, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads