• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm bored with it all.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I've been there too

The tricks I use is not to develop the roleplaying aspect of the NPC's, but to develop a more historical approach to the setting and have players witness dialogue between the NPC's.

For example, I try to put a lot of thought as to why some dungeon/location would exist and what would be the legitimate purpose of it. By doing that, the PC's who take Knowledge ranks can make skill checks and learn things about the place as they explore it, killing monsters and taking their money, but later it will come into play for future sessions because they will encounter the various power groups or creatures responsible for making some of the history, rumors, etc. going on. Even encountering a book I will write up a short history and tie it to the campaign setting whether it's useful or not. My players get a lot of handouts as the result of their Knowledge checks so they can keep it all straight.

Another way of getting my players involved is a really long intro or mid-plot point or long conclusion that I read like a story. My example is that in the first adventure the PC's are falsely imprisoned and awaiting a trial by ordeal which is a guaranteed death sentence the next morning; however, the PC's are called to the duchess' court wherein they get to listen to a conversation between an envoy from another nation and the duchess discuss the local and dire problems facing the nation (the threat of civil war). While the PC's were waiting to be brought before the duchess and introduce the adventure, they were in the court allowed to listen in on the conversation. By doing these long intros, plot points, and conclusions, it sets the tone for the adventure and campaign, and I find my players talking about the local stuff going on more and more.

Ultimately, I could have written a short adventure which the premise was explore this place, get me some phat loot that I need to do something, and you'll have your pardon. I'm sure my players would have enjoyed it, but they wouldn't be engaged in it.

Did it change my players behaviors? Not really. They would still charge in with swords and spells blasting, kill people, take their stuff, and rack up the XP, but in between the sessions, they would pay attention to what's going around them, because now they are aware of the power groups in the area, their enemies, who not to cross, and it affects their decisions for future adventures.

Here's the trade off though, it takes a lot of time to prepare. Each module I wrote is about 20+ pages that will last for only two sessions unless I write up a dungeon crawl, but in the end, I think it's a more rewarding experience for me and my players.

Dracorat

First Post
I'm bored with it all.
[...] Kill this guy. [...]

But I'm getting tired of it. I want to run a game just once where the players aren't thinking about their attack bonuses. Where the idea of stepping into combat is a dangerous and foolhardy endeavor. Where they are willing to stop for a moment and think, "What is my character's motivation?"

[...]

What do you think?

I think you're crazy.

;)

But I guess I do understand the situation. I've tried to encourage my players to be more in character, but I've come to realize over the years that D&D for me and my players is about coming out on top - finding the treasure, saving the girl, trouncing the baddies - and less about lore.

For my lore and immersion fix, I play video games. Some people read books.

But you need to ask yourself - what kinds of players are you attracting? What do they want? If the answers to those will not bring you enjoyment, then you need a new hobby, or new players, or new way of doing the hobby.

It's not insurmountable, but before you change tracks, be sure that the passenger cars are compatible with the new tracks...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another vote for DM burnout. I was there a few years ago. It was so bad, I ran the entire opening story arc of a campaign without realizing I had designed the villains with a horrible and easily exploited flaw that turned them into paper tigers.

You need a break.

HOWEVER...

There is also much to be said for your players knowing that there are some foes they simply can't beat...at that moment in time. The term "tactical retreat" needs to be part of their lexicon.

Once the PCs are making more rational choices, the game will have a better feel to it.

As pointed out above, one way is to give them opponents who can't be overpowered by the party.

Another is to give them a foe who is easily overpowered, but if that happens, there will be repercussions. An "eggshell" opponent has charisma and attitude, and will try to provoke the PCs into a fight. When the party uses their usual amount of force, the eggshell opponent falls quickly and falls hard- perhaps fatally. In the aftermath of the fight, as it turns out he had connections. MAJOR connections. Connections that will make life in the region a living hell for the party.

Prisoner6

First Post
Yeah, sounds like you need to take a break from the game.

A few folks up there are advising changing up your games, but I would be cautious about that. If the players <i>want</i> a combat heavy, light on role-play game, then they won't appreciate trying to force something else down their throat.

I think a lot of DMs go wrong that way. They think their way of playing is best and try to "correct" the players... That usually leads to people trying to cram dice down each other's throats after 3 or 4 sessions.

Just take a break. First from DMing, and then maybe switch to another game system. Try asking your players "hey, how about some Sci-Fi RPG?" or something like that. A change might help shake things up.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch

A few folks up there are advising changing up your games, but I would be cautious about that. If the players <i>want</i> a combat heavy, light on role-play game, then they won't appreciate trying to force something else down their throat.

I think a lot of DMs go wrong that way. They think their way of playing is best and try to "correct" the players... That usually leads to people trying to cram dice down each other's throats after 3 or 4 sessions.

Just take a break. First from DMing, and then maybe switch to another game system. Try asking your players "hey, how about some Sci-Fi RPG?" or something like that. A change might help shake things up.

I think this is really good advice, but I'm also for shaking things up a bit at the same time. Maybe you need a little carrot and stick. The Carrot: Try talking to your players. It doesn't have to be just "their way" or just "your way" either. Discuss together, as a group, about what everyone (players and DM alike) prefer in a game and want out of a game. The Stick: start introducing some consequences for ignoring some very real and practical things they should be considering (intrigue, espionage, etc.). Explain to them that not everything can be dealt with a sword.

Let them know you want them to put some effort into roleplaying a bit more, and then throw them a few purely combat encounters for their enjoyment. Everyone should be enjoying the game, including you.

Last edited:

Sanzuo

First Post
I think this is really good advice, but I'm also for shaking things up a bit at the same time. Maybe you need a little carrot and stick. The Carrot: Try talking to your players. It doesn't have to be just "their way" or just "your way" either. Discuss together, as a group, about what everyone (players and DM alike) prefer in a game and want out of a game. The Stick: start introducing some consequences for ignoring some very real and practical things they should be considering (intrigue, espionage, etc.). Explain to them that not everything can be dealt with a sword.

Let them know you want them to put some effort into roleplaying a bit more, and then throw them a few purely combat encounters for their enjoyment. Everyone should be enjoying the game, including you.

I really didn't want to make it sound like I was putting it on my players for things being the way they were. My complaining was just sort of a general sort of cry out against the established "method" we seem to have built. It's not like I blame my players for our combat-heavy games, it's what we've been doing forever. It's what's expected of our games at that point. My complaints were about that, our groups expectations. And I'm afraid I don't have the capacity to come up with an adventure, encounter, whatever you want to call it, that isn't simply a combat session with plot sprinkled in. I think combat has it's place, sure, I just don't want it to be at the forefront of everyone's minds.

I not only see where you're coming from, I've been there, got the T-shirt, and wore it out already.

Well, there is a lot of good advice here. But I think the bottom line is that you need a new group of players if current ones really don't want to do the RP thing. A hack and slash group will never enjoy good RP and vice versa.

If you can't find a group local to get a good RP campaign going, try starting a PbP game for a little while. I was initially turned off by how long it would take to resolve a scene. But once you're into the first scene, you can easily spend an hour or two each and every day writing posts in response to your players. I actually learned a lot about DMing by DMing a PbP game. It was quite rewarding, but also a lot of work as always.

If you're looking for a thrilling, political intrigue, heavy role play setting for D&D, I definitely recommend Ptolus by monte cook. Google it. Otherwise, just try a new game outside of D&D or D20.

But here is the KEY ---> When the group starts (whether in person or PbP) make sure you explain fully 1) what you're goals are and 2) what you're expectations are. As long as you do these two things, and people seem excited by what you have to say, then the game should go well. Of course, it also means you have to know what you want and expect.....

But, I really just think you're going to have to find another group somehow some where.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter

A very good point. Players will be players, and you have to cater to them much more than they have to cater to you (usually, anyway).

My group's are usually about half people really into gaming in general and ready to put their all into it, and half people who just want to sit around and shoot the ****. It's tough to balance, but be open and honest with all of the players, and you'll find that the kids just their to chat and hang out won't hold it against you if you start doing a lot of roleplaying with the other players.

As long as everyone knows why they're there and no one is offended by anyone else's motives, it usually works out.

jasin

Explorer
I play in two groups that overlap only slightly.

One group just finished Age of Worms. The game started with a TPK on the second encounter (acid beetle swarm... no alchemist's fire? foolish fools!). One of the highlights (for me, at least) was when my wizard subdued an undamaged pit fiend in a single round of melee combat.

The other group finished an Eberron game relatively recently. We raced Nazi elves to a forgotten temple, stole their airship, escaped notice by refitting it in Zilargo, discovered the largest cache of dragonshards in history, struck a deal with a Sharn crime lord, battled quori invading our dreams, and finally used the dragonshards to turn our airship into a time machine to travel back and scatter the dragonshards over the area (and in the time!) where they have been/will be found, forever putting them outside the villains' reach.

With the right crowd, anything will work. You most definitely can have intrigue in D&D, and you can probably have fight-loot-repeat in Call of Cthulhu.

It sounds like you're just burnt out. Take a break. Have someone else run for a while, try a different game, read some books, watch some movies. You should get your groove back sooner rather than later. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads