I'm just not seeing Sword Coast Legends as a game running tool.

Mergon

First Post
It's not a virtual tabletop, it's a video game; albeit one with apparently a robust asymmetrical multiplayer mode that is riffing off of tabletop gaming.

We have no particular evidence that they aren't focusing on story in making the game: just that marketing is favoring the multiplayer mode.

I agree, but it could have been used as a virtual tabltop if they'd just stuck closer to the actual 5e rule set. As it is, in my opinion, the only similarities to D&D 5e are the names of stuff.

CaptainGemini

First Post
I have to agree that I don't see it as a game running tool. I see it as a video game.

For making it fun and a video game, they lost that race when Baldur's Gate came out, and that one stuck pretty close to the ruleset of the era. But, that was also 2E. And Neverwinter Nights did 3E well. This... kinda isn't how I envisioned 5E going. Not when they have a different company, the one doing the updates of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, that could have done it better.

darjr

I crit!
I think I'll save my money for gog. I still have hopes for this game but just another diablo clone with DND IP isn't what I want.

psimon85

First Post
I never wanted SCL to be a virtual tabletop/I don't think SCL is trying to be a virtual tabletop. It is, as you say, a Diablo-style (or more accurately, a Gauntlet-style) action videogame with RPG elements, flavored with D&D terms and spell names.

I'm excited to give it a try. But man... I really want a turn-based game that actually and accurately 100% replicates the rules in the 5E PHB.

Closest thing I've found to D&D-as-it's-played-at-a-real-table is Banner Saga. Turn-based combat, with role-playing-based (as in, making choices based on your understanding of the motivations and values of the character whose role you're playing) strategic/story decisions.

That game is so great.
Try divinity original sin. It isn't d&d based but it is very RPG, and the combat is turn based with some very good features.

theSim

First Post
Divinity: Original Sin is just awesome and as promising as the trailers looked I really hoped SCL would capture a similar rpg feeling and add a creative DMing part on top. Alas, my hopes have been crushed.

The game was nominated best RPG of this year's E3 by many groups like IGN. It sounds like they have yet to publicly reveal critical features (e.g. dungeon sharing, quest chains), which may be part of the reason why so many folks online seem to be underwhelmed by the game.
How many did it win?
Looking at the list of IGN nominations (http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/igns-best-of-e3-2015-awards), it looks like the nomination criteria is pretty slight. Like maybe being at 3E

Quickleaf

Legend
How many did it win?
Looking at the list of IGN nominations (http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/igns-best-of-e3-2015-awards), it looks like the nomination criteria is pretty slight. Like maybe being at 3E

Yep. That was the same conclusion I reached!

A real shame SCL turned out like it did. I wisely elected not to purchase, and after reading a lot of reviews I'm glad I didn't. As much as I'm sorry to say, NSpace absolutely deserves all the harsh reviews. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a piece of crap, but it certain doesn't add anything to the D&D that I know and love.

Will it do anything for the D&D brand? I have no clue.

Remove ads