• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm looking for a 4th edition DnD "choose your own adventure" style module.

hossrex

First Post
I play in a weekly group, and happen to date the sister of one of the group members. We play 3.5 in the weekly game, because several of the party members refuse to play 4th edition. So I was talking to the girlfriend about DnD, and she seemed halfway interested. So I want to set up some sort of "occasional game" that I could play with her, and her brother. I'd prefer it be 4th edition, but I'd be happy with any edition if it fits what I'm looking for.

What I need is some sort of choose your own adventure style RPG... or module... or adventure... or something. Something pregenerated, with monsters in place, treasure to be looted, with a very simple and linear "choose your own adventure" style interface which I think would be helpful in easing my girlfriend into the idea of role playing. Keeping in mind I'm not a particularly good DM (I certainly don't DM our group), I'd really rather play than dungeon master, and she's the type of person who will be asking questions like "so what do I say?" "Do I have to tell you every single little thing my character does?" "Should I talk in a funny voice?" "Do we like move around while we play?"

I just want something nice and clean, where we can get a quest from a king, go into a dungeon, and kill some goblins... all the while allowing us to run regular characters, in regular/typical ways, and advancing as if we were playing a standard game.

My question is really... does that sort of thing even exist? I used to have the Lost Worlds books when I was a teenager in the 90's, but I'd prefer a bit more complex than that (even though Lost Worlds freaking rocks).

I'm not absolutely stuck on the idea that it even has to be DnD... but I'd much prefer it. I know enough about the game to swap out comparable monsters from a different system.

If someone could give me any advice, or send me in any particular direction to investigate this subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Hoss

hossrex

First Post
On second thought, that sounds incredibly easy to put together (herpa derp), so I think I'll just do it myself.

Thanks though.

Grabuto138

First Post
If you are still open to suggestions, the Red Box is pretty much a choose-your-adventure training aid in a box. It doesn't require a grid or all the accessories of a standard game. So, if you and her kick back on the couch and try the Red Box and her response is, "this is totally not my thing" you have saved yourself some hassle at least.

Rune

Once A Fool
...but, be aware that the Red Box is a solo adventure (I think. Haven't purchased it.). You'd have to take turns!

FireLance

Legend
Awesome man!

Thanks for the advice. I should give it a try just because of it's awesome reputation.
Not that it seems you need any further convincing to get the Red Box, but - it also contains a code that allows you to download another solo adventure pdf file from the Wizards web site. I'm not sure when it expires, though.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
...but, be aware that the Red Box is a solo adventure (I think. Haven't purchased it.). You'd have to take turns!

Rune, I am not sure about this, but I think the red box has a brief solo adventure and then a longer adventure for a standard party that takes you to level 2.

Speaking of which, did WotC ever make that adventure available to DDI types independant of the red box? I'd like to take a look at it since I have the DMK and MV.

In any case, the red box sounds literally perfect for what the OP is asking. And the price can not be beat.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
If might also want to think about giving Castle Ravenloft a try. It lacks any roleplaying and simplifies the rules quite a bit, but its easy for two people to play, quick, and give a taste of what D&D combat is like.

Lancelot

Adventurer
To clarify...

The Red Box has two books, and a redemption code for an online bonus. It also has a double-sided poster map and some tokens to represent the monsters.

The 1st book is sort of a player's guide. It is basically a single "solo adventure" written in the classic solo-play mode (if you attack the goblins, turn to page 17... if you talk to the goblins, turn to page 22). The solo adventure is not long. It has two small combats and, effectively, a skill challenge. Much of the text (at least 50%) describes the step-by-step creation of your character, what it all means, and how you play it.

The redemption code lets you download a sequel "solo adventure". This is longer and more complex than the one that you find in the Red Box, as it doesn't spend any text in explaining the rules or character creation. There are several combats (including a tough final combat), some traps, and several skill-use situations. For solo players, there's an NPC that can accompany you through the module. However, it could also be easily adapted to a small party... and would be an excellent first module for a group of learners. Assuming you take it a bit easy on them with the final combat. Note that this bonus adventure follows on directly from the Solo Adventure in the Red Box, but doesn't require it as a prequel.

Finally, the 2nd book in the Red Box is the DM's Guide. This contains a full module. Again, it's a sequel to the Solo Adventure in the Player's Book. It's a good size, with some puzzles, traps, skill challenge, exploration, and multiple combats (about 5; two of which are quite hard as they feature Boss Monsters).

Given the low price point of the Red Box, and the nice poster map, power cards, etc... I'd strongly recommend it for a beginner's group. Play through the Solo Adventure yourself (including the downloaded bonus adventure), and consider turning them into a proper DM-run adventure. Then run the adventure in the DM's Book as a sequel.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads