• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm looking for two feats.

Daetur

First Post
A friend of mine told me about a character he found online that he referred to as the d2 (not a typo) warrior, in which a character abused the two feats that I am now trying to find. One allowed a person to reroll every time that he rolled a one for damage, and the other allowed you to either attack again, or roll for additional damage upon rolling max damage.

The character he found using these was small and used a dagger or something similar in order to deal d2 damage, with this every time he hit he would roll until he got a two (max damage) and could attack again/roll more damage, which would be rolled until he got a 2 and eventually pinged the person to death with 2 + str damage.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The only thing I've seen like that was a pair of feats that a player was trying to invent, based on some 4E abilities. As far as I know there is no such thing in official sources. And that's a good thing, because if they weren't written very carefully, a halfling could one-shot-kill a Great Wyrm.

If someone talked me into allowing those feats, I'd only allow each to work once in a single round. That warrior with the D2 would get a guaranteed 4 +Str +Str damage per hit, but not the infinite snowballing damage he wants.

This link might be what your friend read:
D&D 3.5 / Pathfinder Feat Creation | Forum | Gaia Online

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The ability to roll another die when you roll max damage is a level 6 devoted spirit stance (discipline from Tome of Battle). Sort of like a passive always on ability, it's a chaotic-aligned aura and says eery time you roll max on a damage die, roll again and add, and continue doing so as long as you keep rolling max damage. It's obviously best with bonus damage dice attacks, like sneak attack.

Speaking of...the reroll 1 ability sounds like a sneak attack feat (it's a rogue talent in Pathfinder's Advanced Player's Guide, but i also recall a 3E feat), and i think you only got 1 reroll. Not sure though, I'll check later.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
And the point? I mean seriously, right there in the OP is the word "abused."

I guess I should also ask, are you a player or a DM?

Last edited:

darbythegambler

First Post
this sounds like the ruby knight vindicator trick, where they use imbued healing, the Luck Domain, and Aura of Chaos. Imbued Healing gives a healing spell properties of a domain, in the case of the Luck Domain, allows any rolled 1 to count as a 2, while Aura of Chaos allows a reroll whenever the highest number possible is rolled on at least one die, thus using a d2 would cause an infinite loop

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Dandu's link said:
Aura of Chaos (Devoted Spirit 6)
Stance [Chaos]
While you are in this stance, whenever you roll the maximum result on a damage die, you may roll that die again and add the result to your damage.

Imbued Healing (Luck)
Feat (Complete Champion)
Whenever you cast a Conjuration (Healing) spell, for a number of minutes equal to the level of the spell, you may treat any damage die that was rolled as a 1 as a 2.

Roll a d2:
Result: 2 -> Aura of Chaos triggers -> Roll another d2
Result: 1 -> Imbued Healing means treat this as 2 -> Aura of Chaos triggers -> Roll another d2

This would be where a strict DM points out that if you're using Imbued Healing to change it to a 2, you didn't roll the 2. :p

That imbued healing feat seems really nonsensical, I have to say.

Daetur

First Post
I both play and dm, although I'll admit I much prefer playing. And he likes to find broken builds online and tell me about them (he dms a different group). He likes to find them so that he doesn't accidentally allow them and partially because he likes to be the most knowledgeable person on anything broken, whether its d&d or not. Either way I found the feats he was telling me about rather fishy, but I had to ask since I haven't memorized every book (or even all the ones I use).

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
I vaguely remember something along the same lines... a character wielding a weapon that wound up doing infinite damage "by the rules" because of some funky trick involving a d2, exploding damage on a max roll, and rerolls on a min roll. But I can't find a reference to the specific build.

Either way, I agree that as thought experiments knowing (and being able to review) things like this is both interesting and good practice.

Also, welcome to the boards. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads