• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I'm not interested in 4E, but I'm fine with it coming...

Gallo22

First Post
First let me say that I really like 3.0/3.5 D&D and see very little wrong with the system. My group actually plays a mix of the two that we like to call 3.25 D&D. Many of the issues/rules that gamers consider broken or "bad", as presented here over years here on EN World, we have fixed to our liking or ignored. We have all decied to continue what we are playing as there are no issues or reasons for us to change or spend the money on a new edition. At least for the time being, this works for us. That being said....

I (an my group) really have no (or very little) interest in what I've (we've) seen for 4E so far. The changes and updates we have been shown actually bore (yawn) me more than anything....HOWEVER, I am fine and glad that 4th EDITION is coming out, and for many reasons. Here are just a few.

FIRST: I truely believe that many of us who are not interested in this new verson (4E) will pay more attention to, and move on to, other systems that have long been ignored or little used. Not only do I believe that, but I have heard first hand from many gamers that are ready to try new systems that have long been on their shelf or new systems that are catching there attention. There are lists of great systems, that now with the release of 4E, I believe will come to light, or at least more so in some way or another. With this happening I believe the rpg industry will increase, even if only a little.

SECOND: I also believe that with all the wonderful 3.0 and 3.5 materials, both in print and in pdf, that there are still many sources for those of us who will continue to use 3.0/3.5. Everytime I go to one of those pdf on-line stores I see tons of great material for use. Now with 4E coming, those of us not interested in 4E can spend some time going over these third party 3.0/3.5 products and put them to good use.

To finish let me say; those of you looking forward to 4E, great! It will help keep the industry going and interest in D&D to continue into the future. For those of you like me, who are content with 3.0/3.5, I also say great! There are still some good stuff out there for us to use and game with.

I doubt 3.0/3.5 will ever fully "die" out. There is just too much stuff still out there for use. Many gamers are still playing OD&D and 2nd Edition as well as various other versions. The same will happen with 3.0/3.5 and I think probably more so than the later.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

Gallo

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Well said. I'm looking forward to 4e, but I respect your stance and your positive outlook.

The 3.5 SRD will live forever and I truly wish you many happy games with the system that makes you happy. There is indeed a plethora of fantastic 3.5 gaming products out there. Both from WotC and third parties. :)

danzig138

Explorer
Damn skippy. I'm perfectly happy for everyone who is interested in the new edition. I'm not interested - I'm happy with my games, but hey, if it works for others, more power to 'em. I wish them good gaming, and look forward to cheap 3/3.5 books. ;)

Khairn

First Post
Like you Gallo, I see very little in 4E that I find really interesting or innovative. I'm quite happy with 3E as we play it now, and haven't seen anything so far that is better.

I'm also happy for those who are excited about 4E. I'm disappointed to a certain extent as I believe that we are seeing the end of 3E support, but like you I have plenty of material on hand, and I'm certain to pick up a few things as prices continue to drop.

BBQ

First Post
I agree. 3e and it's revision are still fun, viable game systems (actually, all editions are still fun and viable... played 'em all, and still have the books), and I know that there are those who'll continue to play all sorts of different editions of the game. I'm stoked for 4e, and I am looking forward to it, and I like the fact that all editions will continue as they always have. D&D prevails!

I actually think 4e looks significantly better than 3e/3.5, and yet I'm still probably not going to switch. At least not for some time. This has to do with a variety of things:

1) At least, WotC've correctly identified what I think are some problems with 3e. However, identifying and fixing to my satisfaction are two different things. Having done the first is no guarantee that they'll do the second.

2) Many of my problems are already solved by migrating to an SRD-based game that's not D&D anyway. In fact, I've kludged together systems that do almost exactly what I want borrowing from the SRD, d20 Modern, Midnight, and Unearthed Arcana. For simplicity's sake, I'd probably just run with one of the models in d20 Modern + d20 Past now, with a small handful of Unearthed Arcana tack-ons.

3) The problems with the current edition relative to the problems of 2e aren't nearly as... uh... problematic. The scope of what needs fixing is almost exponentially different. It's fair to say (from my perspective anyway) that the 3e-->4e fixes are quibbling about details relative to the 2e-->3e changes that were needed. That means that as excited as I was about coming back to D&D for 3e, I'm still thinking that even 4e is too chock full of D&Disms for my taste now, based on what I know if it so far.

Howndawg

Explorer
Interesting post, but I would disagree with you on one thing. Several systems bit the farm when 3e came out. Maybe not immediately, but the end was nigh. I recall Deadlands and 7th Sea were both pretty big before 3e came out. Now Deadlands is reloaded but with a much smaller following and 7th Sea is at the ocean's floor. New editions might alienate some of the existing fanbase, but they also bring back players who left D&D for other games.

I myself am looking forward to 4e. If some players want to stick with 3e, its not going to hurt me any. Heck, I'll play any edition with a good DM.

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Hobo said:
3) The problems with the current edition relative to the problems of 2e aren't nearly as... uh... problematic. The scope of what needs fixing is almost exponentially different. It's fair to say (from my perspective anyway) that the 3e-->4e fixes are quibbling about details relative to the 2e-->3e changes that were needed.

Well said. This is why I believe that there will always be lots of people perfectly happy and willing to play 3.5, whereas the same isn't really true of 1e/2e (it can be VERY hard finding a game with those older systems, although obviously some people still play them).

Remove ads