• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm not switching to 4th ed, but I'd still be buying Dragon and Dungeon magazine

Gallo22

First Post
I just wanted to chime in and say that even though I'm not playing or switching to 4th Edition, I would still be purchasing Dragon and Dungeon magazine, if just for the enjoyment of reading them. I continue to believe that the loss of the magazines was a big mistake for Wizards.

If the print versions of Dragon and Dungeon were still out there, I truly think more 3.x'ers would possibly have had more interest in 4th Edition as the magazine slowly transformed from 3.5 ed to 4th ed.

Also, Wizards could have kept some good PR going, by continuing to have a few pages devoted to 3.5.

Oh well..no use crying over spilt milk. Just a thought...

Scribble

First Post
Darrin Drader said:
You may want to check out Kobold Quarterly. http://www.koboldquarterly.com/

It's helmed by freelance extraordinaire Woflgang Baur. I will be contributing an article to the next issue and I hope to be doing more in the near future. One of the nice things about it: It's printed!

is it printed now?

Is it going to support 4e? Or is it staying with 3e? Or both?

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Scribble said:
is it printed now?

Is it going to support 4e? Or is it staying with 3e? Or both?

Issue 5 was just released and I think you can still get back issues. You can get it in print or PDF.

3E/Pathfinder looks pretty much set in stone, at least for the time being. I haven't heard any definite plans for 4E yet.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's also worth noting that while KQ seems to be the new Dragon, Paizo's Pathfinder books are released monthly for 3.5E, and seem to be our new Dungeon. I subscribe to both, and it's almost like having the mags back. :)

Eosin the Red

First Post
I always bought Dungeon and Dragon Mags. Now, I play Hero System so that meant I mined them for ideas and themes. Near the end of the run I found myself debating the value of the mags but then an issue would come along with brilliant content to cement another 6 months of purchasing.

I was a little put off by the adventure paths. I think they are a sweet idea but they all ended up in an epic swamp that doesn't translate well to a low fantasy campaign. I could always use the first 3 or 4 adventures even if I had to put some major elbow grease into it but after that the first few it became impossible to use.

So, yeah.. I'd still be buying and reading. Now I take a pass. I've maybe glanced at half a dozen articles or adventures. I also pass on Pathfinder. It isn't what I need from an adventure magazine and the two Pathfinder Modules ($12.00) were wholly unusable for me.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Alzrius said:
It's also worth noting that while KQ seems to be the new Dragon, Paizo's Pathfinder books are released monthly for 3.5E, and seem to be our new Dungeon. I subscribe to both, and it's almost like having the mags back. :)

Yep. :)

Wik

First Post
Yeah, I liked pathfinder... except for the fact that it's just APs. I really wish it had more... I dunno... dungeon-y goodness. A few adventures, unrelated to the main "path". And articles on stuff, much like the campaign workbook that was in the back of every later dungeon mag (that was why I bought them, really).

I have a sub to pathfinder, but I'm cancelling it after I realized that, well, I will never use any of the adventures (and I often don't even open them when they ship). I've lost interest.

Re: Kobold Quarterly, I have to buy a few mags and give it a shot. It seems more along my line of thinking.

Hal Maclean

First Post
Kobold Quarterly is fantastic. I find that the covers, the artwork deliberate throwbacks to the early days of Dragon, sends a powerful message. Wolfgang is trying to build something with this little magazine, and I'm looking forward to tagging along for the ride.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads