• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm pissed off with Wizards of the Coast

Mercurius

Legend
Why? Because there are no new D&D products scheduled for all of December and January, other than "extras" like Dungeon Tiles and perhaps miniatures (I try to ignore these ugly little plastic things).

Dear Wizards of the Coast,
I wish to spend money on D&D products. How can I spend money on D&D products if there are no new D&D products to spend money on?

Regards,
A concerned consumer

Joking aside, I'm a bit surprised at this. I know that there is this new Essentials line, with major releases in September, October, and November, but no new D&D books in December or January? Even going a month without a supplement must be a first in years.

Or am I missing something? I'm going mainly on the product catalog and Amazon future releases. Neither has all of the announced products, but that is mainly stuff due next year. Basically you have Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms and Monster Vault due out on November 16th, then not another actual D&D book until the Nentir Vale Gazetteer on February 15th...that's almost three months without a new D&D book! How am I to survive?! I guess I'll have to send the entirety of my RPG spending allotment to Paizo or Redbrick or some other company...

Seriously though, what's up with that? It is also odd considering we're talking about Christmas season. You have the Wrath of Ashardalon board game and Gamma World in November, but nothing other than tiles in the month and a half before Christmas. Strange.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know that there is this new Essentials line, with major releases in September, October, and November, but no new D&D books in December or January? Even going a month without a supplement must be a first in years.

Seriously though, what's up with that?

I think you've already answered your own question.

They're releasing Essentials September through November. I would expect them to be the big deal for the Holidays, and I'd expect them to not want to muddy the water with other relases. Just after the holidays, you hopefully have a bunch of folks now newly introduced to D&D 4e, who might well want to buy DDI subscriptions and books already in print.

That gives your R&D people a few months to work, without having to release - that slack can be very, very useful, if you know what to do with it.

Dark Mistress

First Post
Yeah I agree it is odd they are not releasing a new book for Christmas, seems like other than gencon that would be the second best time of the year for gaming companies for sales.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think Santa and the WOTC elves will be quite busy cranking out revisions/errata for the stuff that was released through November.

Dire Bare

Legend
December and January have always been light release months. That, coupled with the major Essentials launch of the entire Fall season . . . . I'm not worried at all. My wallet could use the break!

hexgrid

Explorer
Yeah I agree it is odd they are not releasing a new book for Christmas, seems like other than gencon that would be the second best time of the year for gaming companies for sales.

The entire Essentials release was probably timed with Christmas in mind. Waiting until December to release a potential Christmas gift is cutting it pretty close.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The entire Essentials release was probably timed with Christmas in mind. Waiting until December to release a potential Christmas gift is cutting it pretty close.

Especially when the product is targeted to folks who aren't already major customers. Sure, those of us who frequent gaming message boards knew about Essentials some time ago, but the rest of the world has to see it on shelves for a while before its presence will sink in.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Just means 5E is around the corner. <insert evil laughter here>

Just kidding.
Maybe they have a major setting release coming up and this schedule actually give them time to get it all together.

But you are right on one hand. It does give you an excellent opportunity to try out another company's product for a month. Maybe you will stumble across a real gem to share with everyone.

nedjer

Adventurer
Instead of producing Oriental Adventures 7 and a 5 volume DMG Premium Compendium for an audience of a few thousand, (slightly underwhelmed), existing gamers, (who are perfectly able to supplement their own material), they're offering tens of thousands of new players a route into the hobby - supported by a touch of animation, more open-ended scenarios, cards and the excitement of low level play. Seems a decent trade off.

Remove ads