• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm Published! A Writer's POV

JoeGKushner

First Post
It's good to see the NPC class getting it's dues. I liked both Experts and Warriors from Skrimmisher publishing and look forward to seeing this PDF book one day.

I wouldn't mind hearing some comments about how the other Noble style books that have come out influenced your own material or how you decided on the 'balance' of the game mechanics in general.

Samothdm

First Post
Glad you all enjoyed the saga.

mearls said:
Glad to hear it's been published. I wish I could've been more helpful, but with my workload at that time I barely had time to keep up with anything beyond my then current projects.

I was looking through my old e-mails and remembered that you got in a bad car accident right around the time we were corresponding about this. No worries!

crothian said:
So, is it worth it? Are you going to be writing more books or are you in the process of it?

I started another one right after I submitted this one. It's been a slow process - I got into dividing my time between writing for publication and working on my campaign for my world (and, of course, my "day job"). I just need to focus a little more. I'm also working an idea for an article to submit to Dragon.

I wouldn't mind hearing some comments about how the other Noble style books that have come out influenced your own material or how you decided on the 'balance' of the game mechanics in general.

Well, the two books were Power Classes: Noble (Mongoose) and The Noble's Handbook (Green Ronin). The Quintessential series is a bit different in that they are "starter books" and so do not utilize any existing Open Game Content. I bought the Power Classes book to make sure that I wasn't duplicating anything in there and only had to change one or two things in my book as a result, if I remember correctly, so as not to duplicate anything in that book.

As far as the Noble's Handbook, it was announced while I was writing my book but didn't get a chance to buy it until after I had submitted the final version of my book in Sept 2003. I think that the Noble's Handbook wasn't released until November 2003 or so.

As far as how I "decided" on the balance - that's a hard question to answer. Balance is very subjective depending on the nature of the campaign in which one is playing. What is considered "balanced" in a Forgotten Realms campaign may appear unbalanced and overpowered in a low magic homebrew setting.

My main philosophy was "ideas". I wanted to provide both players and GMs with a resource of ideas to consider when dealing with aristocrats in their games.

SebastianDB

First Post
Samothdm said:
3) Have a patient and understanding partner/significant other.

As the "patient and understanding" wife*, I'm very happy to see that the Quintessential Aristocrat has been published. He worked very, very hard on putting it together in a creative and usable manner.

* (HINT-HINT: Perhaps my support will be rewarded by not ALMOST DYING in the next game session, or by some lovely gems that will be spotted only by me?) ;)

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'm curious to know if you're actually getting paid for this. Last I heard, Mongoose didn't pay any of their writers, they wrote only for the privilege of being published.

Samothdm

First Post
die_kluge said:
I'm curious to know if you're actually getting paid for this. Last I heard, Mongoose didn't pay any of their writers, they wrote only for the privilege of being published.

I'm not sure where you heard this or if you're joking, but this is not true. Mongoose has an entire staff of full-time writers who all are paid employees, of course.

I'm a freelancer, but I did get paid. Mongoose Publishing is a professional company and I am very pleased to have been able to work with them.

Drifter Bob

First Post
congrats! I'm also recently first time published in the industry. Now comes the scary part, waiting for the first reviews and reactions! Please write a follow up of your post publication experiences with your project, I'd be interested to see...

DB

der_kluge

Adventurer
Samothdm said:
I'm not sure where you heard this or if you're joking, but this is not true. Mongoose has an entire staff of full-time writers who all are paid employees, of course.

I'm a freelancer, but I did get paid. Mongoose Publishing is a professional company and I am very pleased to have been able to work with them.

I heard it at GenCon by industry insiders. They may have changed now, but I think when they were first starting out, and no one could figure out how they were putting out so many books all the time, that was how they were doing it. Obviously they're paying now, but at one time, I don't believe that they were.

Remove ads