• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Im ready to kill the warmage....

kanithardm

First Post
Ok not really the warmage, more the warmage's character. He continually metagames. Maybe thats not the right word but its close enough. Last session i had them encounter a succubus and a "charmed" slaad. Well i had my finger in the book so i wouldnt lose my place and then "Bob"(name changed to protect guilty) pears over the top of the book and says
"hes up in the front of the book". Roughly around the D's. (HE MEMORIZED EVERYTHING THE MM EVEN HOW FAR INTO THE BOOK THINGS ARE, I REALLY NEED MMII OR MMIII OR MMIV). We just fought some vrocks, he must be looking at demons. May that guy is really a succubus. Quick paladin detect evil. The only thing that saved this encounter was Bob's stupidity. The "wounded" girl was the succubus not the guy. Luckily slaads are neutral so i said nope hes not evil. Then I had the succubus drain two of his levels. But Im getting tired of his instant out-of-game knowledge. A vrock, wuick we should "insert metagamed strategy here". What should i do other than burn money on MMIII ot MMIV?

Ranger5

First Post
It may take a little more work but either swap out comparable special abilities for monsters or even better, add class levels to them. Succubi sorcerers or even rogues are awesome.

ruleslawyer

The only way to deal with this is out of game. Explain to the player that his behavior is hurting your game and ruining everyone's fun. This peeking-over-the-screen nonsense is incredibly childish. Just say that he should sit down, relax, and try to be a good sport. Ask him why he's been behaving like this in the first place, and whether he really thinks it's appropriate.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ranger5 said:
It may take a little more work but either swap out comparable special abilities for monsters or even better, add class levels to them. Succubi sorcerers or even rogues are awesome.
If he does it for one monster, he'll potentially do it for all the monsters. Doubling the amount of prep time because this guy's a jerk isn't worth the hassle.

Vorput

First Post
Yeah... just talk to him.... if he keeps it up- don't game with him anymore... I hate giving that as a solution, but this just doesn't seem worth it.

You could make him sit at another place at the table besides next to you... that may help with the single scenario you provided, but i'm sure there are plenty of other examples you could give.

Woas

First Post
Write or print out stats to creatures that you plan to use, then place them in the MM where they shouldn't be. So next time he looks at the book and thinks "Oh, that NPC is a doppelganger!" He'll get a suprise when it turns into a Yuan-Ti Abomination with a couple PC Class levels attached too.

Kai'

First Post
Meta-gaming Knowledge

I hate to play the ignorant player with advice here, but pointing-out-the-obvious, why is it that you don't just ask the player how & where his character gained that knowledge?

When he cannot answer, don't allow him to act on that knowledge. You have your entire party to confirm or deny that they heard it or not, as well.

Remove ads