• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm soon going to DM a champain set in the very beginning, me want advice and info

The matierial play is the one of the few existing planes and elves exist. What other things should exist? I need help with plot to and other things like that too.

Last edited:

I'm wondering what should exist at the beginning of the world, what races, would the gods interactthe gods more with mortals, which gods would exist, would anything be more common. Stuff that is differnt at the dawn of time.

The Goblin King

First Post
Taneel BrightBlade said:
I'm wondering what should exist at the beginning of the world, what races, would the gods interactthe gods more with mortals, which gods would exist, would anything be more common. Stuff that is differnt at the dawn of time.

Which world? A generic fantasy world or earth? For fantasy I would suggest a copy of Dawnforge. If you want to do ancient earth there are a few books...but I can't seem to remember off the top of my head. Testament I think?

The Goblin King

First Post
I would start at the creation myth. How did the universe come to be? From there I would work forwards. How did the gods come to be? How was the earth, sky, and sea created? How did animals and plants arrive? How and why were humans created? How and why were demi-humans created? Monsters? D&D generally assumes that the entire cosmology is present from the begining of time.

If I were you I would go down to a book store and read up on mythology from around the world. And take a look through Dawnforge too.

Turanil

First Post
For fantasy I would suggest a copy of Dawnforge.

I second this suggestion, but there is also another suggestion if you don't mind creating an exotic fantasy setting. There once was an article on Several Dragon magazines (cannot remember which ones though) for creating a (3e) campaign set in the dawns of time, that is: prehistory. As such, no castle, no kingdoms, etc., only tribes of primitives in jungles with dinosaurs. If you can find the Dragon magazines in question, it was interesting.

In any case, note that in an "origins campaign" there is probably no ancient ruins to explore and plunder, an archetype of D&D! Unless, there were some alien civilization before, which has almost disappeared except for some ruins. As such, each set of ruins, each castle (strange sort, not a medieval one!) would come from that long ago and almost dead civilization. Yuan ti or Illithids come to mind.

fuindordm

Adventurer
There are a number of approaches you could take.

Looking for inspiration from literature, you could read Tolkien's Silmarillion. This
covers the history of elves in middle-earth from the beginning of creation, and is
much more magical and high-fantasy in feel that the Lord of the Rings. Placing
a campaign so close to the Creation and having the gods closely involved with
mortals gives things a very high-magic, epic feel.

You could also take inspiration from the Bible, making the world much darker
and more mysterious. In the old testament one gets the impression that things
are rather free-form; not all the rules had been set forth by God yet, you had
angels descending, mortals acending, and the attractive idea that in the right
situations, mortals and divines could negotitate their roles. In this sort of world, one is more likely to find magic in the relics and creations of the first few generations than in spells and arcane tech.

You could take inspiration from Moorcock, and have most of the multiverse consist
of unformed chaos; and even on the prime material plane the rules of existence could vary from place to place. Great heroes could fashion their own realms from the chaos through force of will, and the clash between two such realms could be very interesting.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads