• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm taking away a cleric's Medium and Heavy Armor. What to give back?

Klaus

First Post
In preparing some Eberron characters, I thought of making a Valenar cleric of the Spirits of the Past (N religion, fav. weapon: two-bladed scimitar, domains: Destruction, Protection, War... described by Keith Baker in a Dragonshard on the Valenar elves).

So medium and heavy armor don't really jive well with a valenar elf, so I'm taking those away. So what to give back? I'm thinking of adding Ride and Survival as class skills and upping the skill points to (4+Int modifier).

Thoughts?

Geoff Watson

First Post
Medium and Heavy armour are two of the weakest feats in the game, often useless (High Dex characters, such as elves), and are easily gained by taking a level of fighter.

I wouldn't give anything back. Maybe class access to one skill, if I was feeling generous.

Geoff.

Swiftbrook

First Post
Klaus said:
I'm thinking of adding Ride and Survival as class skills and upping the skill points to (4+Int modifier).

IMO removing Heavy Armor Prof. bring the cleric more in line, balance wise, with the other classes. I see the cleric as the most powerful character class. Adding one of the three item you mentioned would be a fair exchange for medium armor prof. I've learned that medium armor proficience really isn't that great. Either you wear light armor and have a good dex score, or you wear heavy armor. I just don't see characters with medium armor, so it's loss really isn't a major loss at all.

-Swiftbrook

Ahnehnois

First Post
Add class skills as appropriate to what you wantt a cleric to be. Don't give anything else though. Heavy Armor prof is only for rich people with no dex bonus. Medium is almost worthless. Not a big loss for the powerful cleric class.

radferth

First Post
I think the worth of armor feats has something to do with the availability of other forms of protection in the campaign. In any case, since the armor proficiencies are weak feats, i'd replace them with other weak feats. You could also just take away the heavy armor, and assume that they could wear medium armor, but usually don't. Customizing clerics is potentially a lot of fun, but be prepared for other customization requests if the party members are competive with each other.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Do you know the cloistered cleric in UA?

Compared to a cleric, they have the following advantages/disadvantages:

Advantages
Class skills: Add Decipher Script and Speak Langage. (And all Knowledge skills, because of Knowledge domain; see below.)
Skills points per level: 6 + Int modifier
Lore: As the bardic lore class ability
Domains: Gain Knowledge domain as a bonus domain (i.e., in addition to the usual two domains).
Spellcasting: Add the following spells to the spell list: 0-message; 1st-erase, identify, unseen servant; 2nd-fox's cunning; 3rd-illusory script, secret page, tongues (reduced from 4th level); 4th-detect scrying; 6th-analyze dweomer; 7th-sequester; 9th-vision.

Disadvantages
HD: d6
BAB: poor (i.e., as wizard)
Armor Proficiency: Only light (and no shields)

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Med/Heavy armor is weak for SOME characters. Not clerics, usually, though. Most of the clerics I run as PC or DM, my players/DMs run, and that I hear about from online friends rely on plate for their AC, and letting Dex be a dump stat. So removing them from the cleric, I think, is actually worth *more* than it is for removing them from the fighter.

Klaus, your idea sounds OK.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Klaus, I like your idea, esp. regarding # of skill points, but take it one step farther -- beef up Domains, so Clerics are distinct. Have each Domain grant one or two skills as class skills for all Cleric levels. So, whatever Domain your Elf is likely to take will grant Ride and Survival, or something like that.

-- N

Klaus

First Post
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

As it turns out, I'll drop Survival and just add Ride to the class skill list and up the skill points to (4+Int). Ride makes sense from a cultural background, and the spells can make up for not having Survival (purify food & drink and all that stuff).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads