Imagine there was another Earthlike planet in our system

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Imagine there was another Earthlike planet in our solar system, say about where Mars is located. There is an intelligent species there, at approximately our level of technology.

How soon would we have begun communication with them? How soon would we begin interaction with them? What kind of interaction would we have with them? Would we have begun interplanetary trade of some kind by now? Would we be at war with them? Would their existence be a prompt to advance our space industry faster?

And on that last note, would discovering intelligent life elsewhere in the universe speed up our space exploration? Would we speed things up so we can interact with these others, or would we speed things up out of a sense of competition (or fear) like the US had with the USSR?

Bullgrit

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think we're capable of war with them yet - and they'd need something very light worth billions to make trade even remotely profitable.

So no to them.

But we'd have been communicating for decades by now. We'd know them pretty well. They're just too far - right now - to pop in to borrow a cup of sugar.

We'd definitely have had several manned Mars missions, and vice versa.

Joker

First Post
If communication isn't possible I think war would be the only option with total annihilation of one or both of the species. This is from a human perspective and the fear that they may be exploitative in nature like us. I don't mean that as a critique of us. It's just that the dominant societies on our planet need vast amount of resources to function.

I think it is very likely that as soon as we discover life on another planet we identify as being intelligent and see as a threat you'll look at global society geared towards militarization.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If communication isn't possible I think war would be the only option with total annihilation of one or both of the species. This is from a human perspective and the fear that they may be exploitative in nature like us. I don't mean that as a critique of us. It's just that the dominant societies on our planet need vast amount of resources to function.

I think it is very likely that as soon as we discover life on another planet we identify as being intelligent and see as a threat you'll look at global society geared towards militarization.

War isn't an option. Do you know how much it would cost just to send one teeny bomb to Mars? Billions. Billions to blow up a random Martian fruit stand, if we're lucky.

The Mars One project predicts $6bn to send two people one-way to Mars. You know how people talk about force projection in the real world, and how many countries can't even send a sizeable force across one ocean? We have no way to send an army to Mars. Projecting force around our world is very hard. To Mars? Impossible.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Imagine there was another Earthlike planet in our solar system, say about where Mars is located. There is an intelligent species there, at approximately our level of technology.

Okay. This is major. All answers are pending what the species is like. I am assuming, for the moment, something not too far from "humans with funny foreheads", as opposed to, say hive-mind insects or aquatic species. I am assumign also that "level of technology" is similarly Trek-like, so that, for example, once they figure out how radio communication could be done, they actually *do* it...

How soon would we have begun communication with them?

We would have begun communication shortly after both species had radio communication of sufficient power to reach between the worlds. As soon as both species are putting out enough radio, detection within the same solar system is pretty much inevitable.

How soon would we begin interaction with them? What kind of interaction would we have with them?

Note that radio communication is a form of interaction. That probably comes first.

Would their existence be a prompt to advance our space industry faster?

Last question first - probably. We don't do lots with space now, because historically it has been difficult to justify the cost. If there were people out there, it becomes a whole other ballgame.

Would we have begun interplanetary trade of some kind by now? Would we be at war with them? ...

And on that last note, would discovering intelligent life elsewhere in the universe speed up our space exploration? Would we speed things up so we can interact with these others, or would we speed things up out of a sense of competition (or fear) like the US had with the USSR?

Well, here things get complicated. It depends on how that contact was made, and when. We are now in a realm of alternate history and speculation. We can only make such speculation with a set of assumptions...

Assume, for example, that we don't really know about the Martians until radio contact is made, between 1920 and 1940. We've had WWI, but contact with an entirely alien species comes before WWII. If WWII happens anyway (we can posit the socio-economic and political scene after WWI may have made it nigh-inevitable), we gain the technological basis for rocketry. From this point on, being able to reach Mars is merely a matter of time and motivation.

Even if we go full-bore on rocket development, I think war is unlikely. The physics and distances involved mean you might be able to move some very precious cargo, and do cultural exchanges, but chemical rocketry simply won't get you to the point where you can extend conventional military might over such distances. The supply lines are *years* long. Sure, you could pack nuclear warheads onto a rocket, but... what's the point? On Earth, there was a fundamental question of control of territory and resources that led to the cold war, and the nuclear threat. Between Earth and Mars, there is no real question of control of territory. There's just no point to blowing them up.

So, minor trade, some movement of small numbers of people back and forth. And, a fundamental change in how we view ourselves in the Universe.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Maybe we could outsource computer-based jobs, or trade information...

I don't think there'd be no trade at all. We'd still be testing space flights and try to land things on each others' planets - just like we do now. Why not send over some seeds to let them grow mangoes? Initially, there'd have to be tests to ensure that the atmospheres and organisms are compatible and such, but we'd eventually trade small things at first, at least. Maybe nothing very valuable, though.

I think the space industry would probably progress a bit faster. The luxury vacation market might demand it.

Joker

First Post
War isn't an option. Do you know how much it would cost just to send one teeny bomb to Mars? Billions. Billions to blow up a random Martian fruit stand, if we're lucky.

The Mars One project predicts $6bn to send two people one-way to Mars. You know how people talk about force projection in the real world, and how many countries can't even send a sizeable force across one ocean? We have no way to send an army to Mars. Projecting force around our world is very hard. To Mars? Impossible.

Assuming we've known of their existence for as long we've been able to receive radio waves I think our extra-terrestrial military capability would be quite a bit more advanced. But let's assume a military exchange isn't possible at this point because of logistical hurdles. We don't know what their capabilities are. Therefor they are a danger and from that point on our resources will be spent on research and development of vehicles capable of destroying the other species. I'm not talking about space marines dropped from ships in orbit, I'm thinking more about inter planetary stealth missiles with a biological or nuclear warhead.

Even if communication is possible, I would be hard-pressed to think any other option isn't a giant risk. Look at the Cold War. As far as I understand we were quite close to being knocked back into the Middle-Ages. And with the Russians communication was possible and we could understand each other. With a species who evolved differently than us or perhaps more frighteningly, exactly like us I think a hostile stance would be the more responsible course of action.

That said, I would like our relationship to be peaceful. I would like to learn from each other and help each other understand the universe around us.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We don't know what their capabilities are..

We do - the premise says they have the same tech level as us. So we can't attack each other. We can send, like a couple of people for $6bn, and that would take a year to get there, but a couple of people can't exactly wage war on a planet of billions. So we probably send a few people, and they send a few people, but we don't have the ablity to do any more than that.

There's certainly no trade good worth the billions it would take to transport it.

Derren

Hero
The first radio which could transmit into space was probably build around 1920. The first television transmission was 1936. But considering that by that point we would already know that there is life on mars (telescopes had been available for centuries) that would likely happen sooner in such a scenario. And of course space technology would evolve faster.
The interaction with them? Probably a cold war with biological weapons (if we manage to get our hands on their DNA, otherwise nuclear). But as missiles are very easy to detect and the travel time would be months it would be a MAD scenario so no one fires first. Trade wouldn't really happen because even assuming they, for some strange reason, produce goods which are compatible with us (ergonomically or biologically) there is nothing one can't get easier on earth.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
It would probably jumpstart our efforts to build an early-warning/anti-missile system for inbound thingamagigs even if we did consider war unlikely. I say early warning, but early might be too strong a word.

Remove ads