• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Imbue with Spell Ability -- clarification needed

Zeppo

Explorer
Hi there! Long time reader, first time poster. I was wondering about a sentence in the Imbue with Spell Ability description:

"If the number of 4th-level spells you can cast decreases, and that number drops below your current number of active imbue with spell ability spells, the more recently cast imbued spells are dispelled."

Does this mean that

a) the actual IwSA spells that you've cast on various creatures are dispelled, starting from the one cast most recently

or

b) the spells you imbued the subject with and the subject has already cast are dispelled, starting from the one cast most recently?

coriolis

Explorer
We've always used a) in our campaigns. Also, we've always assumed that you need a) to use b), so the target loses all the spell slots granted by imbue with spell ability.

Zeppo

Explorer
Ok, but just to be certain about this:

If a), are all the non-instantaneous spells cast by the subject also dispelled, or does the creature just have its spell slots removed?

Nail

First Post
Interesting!

Generally speaking, if your ability to cast spells is suddenly taken away, any spells you've already cast remain in place. That is, most spells don't require you once they are cast. (Spells that require concentration or direction are the obvious exceptions.)

However, the text of Imbue with Spell Ability says:
If the number of 4th-level spells you can cast decreases, and that number drops below your current number of active imbue with spell ability spells, the more recently cast imbued spells are dispelled.
It doesn't say the spell "Imbue with Spell Ability" is dispelled. It says the imbued spells are dispelled. So if you IwSA a Endure Elements for the Rogue and he then casts it, and then you lose your 4th level spells....the Endure Elements is dispelled.

Huh!

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Nail said:
Interesting!

Generally speaking, if your ability to cast spells is suddenly taken away, any spells you've already cast remain in place. That is, most spells don't require you once they are cast. (Spells that require concentration or direction are the obvious exceptions.)

However, the text of Imbue with Spell Ability says:It doesn't say the spell "Imbue with Spell Ability" is dispelled. It says the imbued spells are dispelled. So if you IwSA a Endure Elements for the Rogue and he then casts it, and then you lose your 4th level spells....the Endure Elements is dispelled.

Huh!
I think the correct term here is RAWng. ;)

Zeppo

Explorer
Oh well, maybe I'll just take a), ignore the wording and assume it's just a patch of bad writing. That seems the sanest option anyway.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Nail said:
And given in imminent death of 3.xe RAW, it's nothing to worry 'bout. :cool:
Oh, I think it'll still live on in basements and dark places, biding its time. There will still be enough that is RAWng in 4th edition to keep everyone picking at the corpse until 5th edition comes out. ;) Case in point: they just put Ginormous and smackdown in the dictionary. Maybe they should just write all of the rulebooks in Latin so there is no room for exploitation.

The Imbue With Spell Ability-filled spell slot is still there, but can't be recovered, so the those imbued spells are the 4th level slot, for all intents and purposes. That is why they go away when the caster loses more 4th level slots than he still had.

Nail

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
Oh, I think it'll still live on in basements and dark places, biding its time. There will still be enough that is RAWng in 4th edition to keep everyone picking at the corpse until 5th edition comes out. ;)

Undead 3.xe RAW. Love it!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads