• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immediate Powers that gives bonus. How can we know when use them?

Dr_Sage

First Post
Many PC powers and item powers, speccially defensive ones, give someone a bonus on some defense agains something specific.

Best example: Shield wizard power, that gives you +4 to defend against some attack (also lasts for a round).

How can a player know when to use it? If the monster hit AC 60, makes no difference.

I am suggesting our DM to tell us what AC/defense have he hit (he rolls everything behind the screem). This way the wizard can decide if it's worth spending the power.

Same thing with powers that give +2 to your friend's defense. I don't think makes sense to let the players spend those "in the dark" but I could be wrong.

Opinions? Offficial rullings?

Klaus

First Post
The thing to note is the "trigger" line.

For instance, Shield's trigger is "you are hit by an attack". So the hit has happened, move on. The bonus to all defenses last until "the end of your next turn", so you get at least some protection from further harm.

So, really, it's a case-by-case basis.

keterys

First Post
While it's not necessary to give the precise attack results for every attack, the DMG does give instructions to give players enough information to know whether to use such abilities. A DM could do that by saying what AC he hit, or noting 'The creature just narrowly hit you', or the player going 'Hmm, look like a shield would block the attack?' and the DM responding, etc.

Dr_Sage

First Post
It's an 'interrupt' so it can prevent the hit from happening.

You read my mind. It's supposed to interrupt and protect the caster.

But if the attack is too high antway it won't be enough. My feeling is that the designers wanted the players to have this info. It's a "player knowledge" kind of thing.

Klaus

First Post
It's an 'interrupt' so it can prevent the hit from happening.
If it were "Trigger: You are targeted by an attack", then I'd agree. As it is, doesn't seem RAW.

I think to work as RAI, the power should read:
"Trigger: you are hit by an attack
Effect: You gain resistance to all damage from the triggering attack equal to 5 + your Wisdom modifier."

Nifft

Penguin Herder
As it is, doesn't seem RAW.
That's just how Interrupts work. They are different from Reactions in exactly this way: the Interrupt "interrupts" its trigger, and may disrupt its triggering event. Reactions happen after their triggering event is resolved.

I think to work as RAI, the power should read:
"Trigger: you are hit by an attack
Effect: You gain resistance to all damage from the triggering attack equal to 5 + your Wisdom modifier."
Nah, that's weaker, since that works only against one attack, while Shield works against the triggering attack and then hangs around until the end of your next turn.

Cheers, -- N

Kordeth

First Post
If it were "Trigger: You are targeted by an attack", then I'd agree. As it is, doesn't seem RAW.

Err--no, that's exactly what interrupts do.

PHB p. 268 said:
Interrupt: An immediate interrupt lets you jump in when a certain trigger condition arises, acting before the trigger resolves. If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action, that action is lost. For example, an enemy makes a melee attack against you, but you use a power that lets you shift away as an immediate interrupt. If your enemy can no longer reach you, the enemy’s attack action is lost.

In other words, when you're hit by an attack, shield jumps in before the attack is resolved and boosts your defenses by 4. In other other words, to resolve the attack, you must now compare the attack roll to your defense + 4 because of the shield power.

lkjopajdowma

Explorer
In our games the DM always just asks "does X hit your [defense]?". The DM doesn't even keep track of player defenses because they change so often from different buffs and statuses that it's too much work for the DM to keep track of it all, and if the DM just says "You get hit", the player responds "did you factor in my +X from this and my +X from this?" and it just slows things down.

I don't think it gives too much away, it saves time (both by letting players know it's a good time to use powers like Shield and not having to argue about what the defense is right now), and in some cases it even increases tension (for example, if the DM asks you if a roll 10+ above your AC hits and it wasn't a critical, you know this is going to be a tough fight.)

(I should note "the DM" referred to here is currently me, but our group rotates and we all handle it this way.)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads