• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Imp. Buckler Defense and targeting Bucklers

what to do about Bucklers and Improved Buckler Defense

• Bucklers and IBD (Improved Bucker Defense) work just fine as is

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • IBD is fine if Buckler shield bonus applies to one target only (like the Dodge feat)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IBD is banned, but targeted Buckler bonus (like Dodge) is a good idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IBD is banned, but I'd leave the Buckler mechanics as they are

Votes: 1 50.0%

Feldspar

Explorer
In this poll about animated shields, it was noted by several that Improved Buckler Defense seems just as overpowered of an option as it gives two-handed and two weapon fighters the same protection options that sword-and-boarders would otherwise exclusively enjoy.

I believe that in 2e, bucklers only gave you protection against one attacker. So my poll question has to do with whether Improved Buckler Defense is overpowered and/or whether bucklers should work in a manner like the Dodge feat, providing a shield bonus but only against one designated target.

<edit 1>One thing that annoys me about the feat is that it makes the Improved and Greater Two Weapon Defense feats, published in the same book, pretty much worthless. Why spend three feats for a +3 shield bonus when you can spend one feat and, with a little magic, get the same or better shield bonus?</edit 1>

<edit 2>To better explain option 3 - another problem with Bucklers is that, unless you plan to shield bash, Bucklers are just as good a defensive option as Light Shields but offer you other options like being able to switch freely between a two hander stance and sword and board stance when using something like a Longsword. I don't think Bucklers should be as useful in defense as a full shield.</edit 2>

Last edited:

Cedric

First Post
I said it works just fine, but that's largely based on the fact that I never see people rush out to get Bucklers and spend feats on their use. If it became the "it" ability melee characters go for, I might change my mind.

Not the best reasoning, I know...but I use it for a lot of things.

Feldspar

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
It also grants a -1 to attacks when using THF so there's that penalty.
Sure, but with magic we're talking about the ability to trade a -1 to attack for, possibly, a +6 shield bonus. That doesn't seem right.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads