• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Impatient Players Who Search

Thunt

First Post
One pet peeve I have is when players declare that they're searching a room. An exercise that takes the character some time. Then, 10 seconds later, while the other players are doing things, the searching player asks "Do I find anything?".

"No. You just started searching."

"So anyways, Gilgirth the elf, you were saying that your sword is sheathed because..."

"Do I find anything now?"

"Jesus, you haven't had time to search anything yet!"

This is just one of those things that has always happened I guess.

Wycen

Explorer
Searching is one of those things that I don't think needs suspense. Well, ok, if you want the players to stay interested then maybe a pause and flip through your notes or a book, but when we play, we pretty much assume everybody is involved at some point in the searching, so it just boils down to who finds the item/clue/feature.

Now if you throw in players who like passing notes, in my experience to steal what they find, that can be different. Possibly annoying.

IronWolf

blank
I would just make sure they know how you like to handling. It sounds like once a player declares they are searching you take that time to handle any other questions or actions the other players are doing before telling the results of the search. I see no issue with that, it might just take a OOC advisement of how you handle it to help keep everyone in your group on the same page.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads