• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Implements and recurring damage

The Lone Badger

First Post
Say I cast cloudkill, doing "1d10 + intelligence modifier" damage to everyone in the area. I add the enhancement bonus of my implement to that damage. At the start of the enemy's turn he takes "1d10 + intelligence modifier" damage once again, do I add my implement bonus to that as well?

CapnZapp

Legend
You add the implement's enhancement bonus to any attack or damage rolls you make (with powers that have the implement keyword), so yes, whenever you roll that 1d10 for damage, you get to add your implement's bonus.

I know, keying things to rolls can feel a bit "too simple" but that really is the way it is! :)

The Lone Badger

First Post
Thanks for the help. We were running that way at first, but decided that I probably shouldn't be adding the bonus after I seemed to be outdamaging the rest of the party put together (I guess the Druid who kept shoving enemies back into the Stinking Cloud or next to the Flaming Sphere helped with that).

Is there any offical (custserv etc) word on it by the way, or is it just down to close reading of the text?

CapnZapp

Legend
No, adding your implement bonus is specifically intended.

You should not allow yourself to be talked out of your bonus. Playing a wizard can be hard enough. If the other players can't keep up, then perhaps you could help them making the best of their class.

Of course, if all other players play Defenders and Leaders, then you're supposed to do the most damage. :)

The Lone Badger

First Post
No, adding your implement bonus is specifically intended.

You should not allow yourself to be talked out of your bonus. Playing a wizard can be hard enough. If the other players can't keep up, then perhaps you could help them making the best of their class.

Of course, if all other players play Defenders and Leaders, then you're supposed to do the most damage. :)
I suppose it's all down to party roles. My total DPS was stratospherically high but the Rogue's single-target damage let him take out enemy leaders and the meleer who broke away from the tanks, the Druid was shoving people around like no tommorrow, and the Paladin/Fighter kept things locked down. I has just thought of the 'kill everyone' role as the Striker, not the Controller.

tiornys

Explorer
I has just thought of the 'kill everyone' role as the Striker, not the Controller.
The Striker's role is best expressed as "neutralize the key target as efficiently as possible". That usually translates to "kill the biggest threat fast". The Controller's role is to disrupt and counter enemy tactics. When enemy tactics involve close coordination and/or masses of enemies, that often means "do a ton of damage to the enemy even if it's not that much to each individual target". Controllers are easily capable of dishing out the highest amount of total damage--they're just not the ones who rapidly drop the priority targets.

t~

Rothe_

First Post
Control is what happens when all the enemies leave the area of the cloud, or refuse to enter it. The damage is the deterrent. If they all stay bunched up in the cloud, then you deserve to kill them easily. Or perhaps your party tactics are working as intended and they are keeping the enemies in the cloud and/or pushing them into it.

DracoSuave

First Post
Thanks for the help. We were running that way at first, but decided that I probably shouldn't be adding the bonus after I seemed to be outdamaging the rest of the party put together (I guess the Druid who kept shoving enemies back into the Stinking Cloud or next to the Flaming Sphere helped with that).

Is there any offical (custserv etc) word on it by the way, or is it just down to close reading of the text?

If this is what is happening, then everything is working just as planned.

Fourth Edition is about everyone using thier abilities to work with other abilities. It doesn't matter if it's your Stinking Cloud rolling the damage, the druid's the one putting the guy back in there. So in reality, his moves are defeating the enemy quickly just as much as your stinkiing cloud is.

If the DM has problems with this, his best resort is to start synergizing his monsters and using monsters that have synergistic abilities more.

Which he should do anyways.

Remove ads