• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IMPORTANT! Should EN World continue reporting RPG news?

Do you read the news page?

• I read the news page

Votes: 258 70.1%
  • I don't read the news page

Votes: 110 29.9%

Glade Riven

Adventurer
While I don't read it religiously, I do look through it from time to time.

I think the blog-esq format for the news page is a little out-of-date, though. Perhaps agregated news could be separated in a smaller column, especially since it is usually a pile of links. Featured news would get greater space and focus.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I read the news here moreso than ever. Since Gaming Report died so long ago, I really don't know of any other website that collects enough news items or interesting discussion topics than this one.

I can tell you that there have been products from RPGNow and through the bookstore that I have bought items, but wouldn't have if I didn't read it here when it was announced.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Side note, and also to prove *somebody* reads it: the date for today's news update is wrong.

It reads Friday March 17. You want either Thursday March 17 or Friday March 18.

Lanefan

William Ronald

Explorer
I rely on the news page, several times a week, to tell me what is going on in the RPG industry. I realize that it is a lot of work, Morrus. Perhaps you can go to updating it two or three times a week. (I know a lot about volunteer efforts falling apart.) Perhaps RSS news feeds would help?

One of the benefits of the news page is that I can see what multiple companies are doing. It was one of the ways that I learned about the Pathfinder game.

I think that the environment is different than some ten years ago. More companies keep a tight rein on their news. Still, I think that the news page can have some value to the site and its members.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I would be curious to what degree advertising supports EN World, and if there could be a way to measure traffic to the news page compared to other parts of the site. It is possible that there are lots of non-registered users who are helping to pay the bill by visiting the front page for news. Or maybe not. I would also be curious to see if cutting off the news page also cut off EN World's way of communicating with the outside world a bit in regards to site-wide initiatives like the ENnies...

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Count me in the "Keep the News" camp.

I certainly appreciate the effort put into keeping us all abreast of the latest news.

And, over the last 5+ years, the news site has kept me informed about the latest happenings in the RPG world, and pointed out some spectacular items that I might normally have missed.

At the core, we are all about playing the games we love, right? Whether it be 4E, PF, or something else completely.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I generally skip the News page altogether. Rarely, I will glance at it to see if there are any BIG titles being released (ie. from established gaming production houses), and I glance at the EnWorld banner if something from EnPublishing (WotBS, Zeitgeist et al) is in the works.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads