• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Impossible to keep prisoners tied up?

Dingleberry

First Post
Drawmack said:

I don't like it when they publish ''replacement'' rules in non-core rulebooks. Errata I consider part of the core rulebook same with clarifycations. The problem that I have is that the core books cost $30 each for a total of $90 for just those, then to publish rules listed as offiicial replacements in $25.00 splat books (of which there are I think 4) birngs the total for having a game that is core rules equiped to $190.00. This is before dice and minatures. Does WotC think gamers are made of money?

BTW: Your link didn't work and I'm pretty polymorph self in the SRD is the updated version since the magic section was just released a couple of weeks ago.
I wholeheartedly agree that the changes should go into the core book errata (and eventually the SRD), but at least these two have been made available online. Do a search on the WotC site for "wild shape" - the first result is (MotW excerpt) is what you're looking for. Hopefully someone else can confirm this, but I think maybe the revised polymorph other is in the PsiHB errata (also available at the WotC site).

Last edited:

nharwell

Explorer
The errata'd Wildshape can be found at http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20020202ex

Unfortunately the errata'd polymorph has not yet found it's way into the SRD -- it is only available in Tome & Blood and in the Psionic's Handbook Errata.

I agree -- I hate the fact the much of the supposed "official " errata is published in splatbooks or buried in splatbook errata. Nonetheless, that is the route that WOTC has chosen to go, so I don't see how you can not consider it core rules when it is clearly labeled as errata. (and I personally hate most of the splatbooks)

Gator

First Post
You're forgetting some things.

1: Are they even tied up in a position that would allow them leverage to break the bonds. (hogtied sucks)

2: Is there anybody watching?

3: Hang them over a pit of something nasty. Sure they can break the bonds, but then they have to roll to grab onto the chain that's holding them up there at a big negative. If they fail, go get a new character.

4: Metal boxes are good for that sort of thing. Especially if you put something big and heavy on top of it, oh say like an.....ogre.

Drawmack

First Post

So wildshape stays a spell like ability. I would rule that since it is a class ability of a divine class, and a spell like ability of a devine spell caster it requires a divine focus in order to be cast. Hands tied, cant get to your devine focus items, can't wildshape.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Drawmack said:
So wildshape stays a spell like ability. I would rule that since it is a class ability of a divine class, and a spell like ability of a devine spell caster it requires a divine focus in order to be cast. Hands tied, cant get to your devine focus items, can't wildshape.
This would be a house rule. Spell-like abilities have no components, not even divine focus components.

Also, note that your proposed rule would make wildshape a one-way trip. In order to use a material or focus component, a caster needs hands to manipulate that component. Animals don't have hands, so the druid would end up getting stuck.

wolff96

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
But the SRD lists a DC of only 23 for a Strength check to "Burst Rope Bonds". This means that anyone with a 16 strength (or anyone with a 12 strength and a friend) is pretty much immune to being tied up.

Is our group doing it wrong?

We've always played that a Strength Check is your strength BONUS plus what you roll on a d20.

So a character with an 18 Strength gets d20 + 4 on a strength check...

Have we been misinterpreting the rules all along?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Re: Re: Impossible to keep prisoners tied up?

wolff96 said:

Is our group doing it wrong?

We've always played that a Strength Check is your strength BONUS plus what you roll on a d20.

So a character with an 18 Strength gets d20 + 4 on a strength check...

Have we been misinterpreting the rules all along?
No, you've got it right. The OP is allowing the prisoner to take 20 on his Strength check. With an 18 Strength, that gives him a result of 24, which is enough to break the ropes.

wolff96

First Post
Good!

Otherwise, I would have been ruthlessly holding the party back for several levels now.

I guess I should learn to read posts better! :)

Conaill

First Post
Uhm, ... guys...?

What makes you think you can take 20 on a strength check? I double-checked the SRD, and it seems fairly clear that "take 20" is only for skill checks. Sure, they use the same mechanism, but it is a different beast!

I would probably allow taking 20 on an Escape Artist check, but then again, the Use Rope check tying up the prisoners should have been done with take 20 as well. After all, how good a job are you going to do if you only take 6 seconds to tie someone up? 2 minutes seems a lot more likely.

Remove ads