• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Impromptu Sneak Attack and Uncanny Dodge

Ixidior

First Post
Hi,

Yesterday i was in a battle arena fighting agaist a friend. I was using a Rogue lvl5, Figther lvl2, Master Thrower lvl5, Invisible Blade lvl1.

And he was using a Lvl3 Rogue,and some lvls of sorcerer and others of arcane trickster.

I used invisibility(With a ring of invisibility.) and he cast grater invisibility and fly. Then he get close to me using true seeing. But this is the thing...

HE said that he would use the Impromptu Sneak Attack. But i have uncanny dodge. I wasen't flanked. He attacked while he was invisible. I said that i won't lose my dexterity bonus cause i had uncanny dodge. another friend said that uncanny dodge only will work if the opponent has 4 or less rogue levels. But... i think that restriction is only for improve uncanny dodge and when someone is trying to flank.

is that true?? or not? Impromptu Sneak Attack beat Uncanny dodge when attack while invisibility and no flanking?

thnx!

Theroc

First Post
Well, if I recall correctly, True Seeing reveals you to the viewer, and Improptu sneak attack requires no flanking.

Additonally, Improptu Sneak attack states that the victim loses dexterity to AC, it does not state that it causes you to become something that you do not lose your dexterity bonus for.

I'm not 100% positive, but it seems to me the attack against you would have succeeded.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Yeah, if he used true seeing he can see through your invisibility. And impromptu SA does in fact cause you to lose your dex to AC, it does not flatfoot you. There's a difference. That being, you don't get any protection from uncanny dodge. On the plus side, he probably could only do that impromptu SA once/day.

And you make it sound like he had an awful lot more turns than you. Or was it all pre-combat buff rounds, and he just had more stuff to buff with than you?

On the other plus side, if he's only Rogue 3 he shouldn't have ANY uncanny dodge, so you could basically SA him at will with the right set-up. So long as you remembered to get a scroll/wand of See Invisibility. Use Magic Device is the best rogue class feature (tm) for a reason. :)

Ixidior

First Post
i got it!

but.. how many attacks can be made by impromptu SA?? cause the DM said that it affect all attacks in the round. He use scorching ray to attack me.

So i was thinking that impromptu SA only affect one ray of one SR. is that true? or affect all rays?? from one? or all SR???

Starbuck_II

First Post
i got it!

but.. how many attacks can be made by impromptu SA?? cause the DM said that it affect all attacks in the round. He use scorching ray to attack me.

So i was thinking that impromptu SA only affect one ray of one SR. is that true? or affect all rays?? from one? or all SR???
Scorching Ray is a volley: only first attack in a volley that hits adds Sneak Attack anyway.

Remove ads