• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Familiar and Type

RobNJ

Explorer
Do all Improved Familiars lose their existing Type and become Type "Magical Beast"? This seems illogical, if so. I mean, a pseudodragon all of a sudden isn't a dragon anymore? A quaist is no longer an outsider?

The way I understand is that it never was the original type. You don't cast this spell on a frog (pseudodragon, or whatever) and convert it to a familiar. Instead you summon a familiar (spirit of some sort, I guess) that takes on the guise of such a creature. But it is still just a magical beast because that is the Familiar Type.

RobNJ

Explorer
Speaks With Stone said:
The way I understand is that it never was the original type. You don't cast this spell on a frog (pseudodragon, or whatever) and convert it to a familiar. Instead you summon a familiar (spirit of some sort, I guess) that takes on the guise of such a creature. But it is still just a magical beast because that is the Familiar Type.
Well, there is a transformation. If you die, your familiar becomes a normal animal of its type, for example.

Furthermore, let's say we have a ranger who has Dragons as his favored enemy. If he's fighting a wizard's pseudodragon familiar, why shouldn't he get his bonuses to skill rolls and attacks against the pseudodragon? It is a dragon.

I think this is a case where the rules were written with normal animals in mind, and not enough work was done to the Improved Familiar feat when it came out.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
the rules really aren't very clear on this. Tome and Blood states that improved familars 'have unusal special abilities but follow the general rules for familiars', but goes on to contradict itself in the creature descriptions

for example, a celestial hawk (outsider) improved familar listed 'type' is magical beast, but the formian worker, mephits and imp remain outsiders, the elementals are called 'elementals' (and not outsiders or magical beasts), homunculus is a construct and stirge is a beast (not magical beast)

(and psueodragon is listed as a dragon)

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
Mr Fidgit said:
...a celestial hawk (outsider) improved familar listed 'type' is magical beast...

Double check the Celestial and Fiendish templates... "Beasts or animals with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged."

They are not outsiders, unless they were already one to begin with.

It looks like they left the descriptors alone for Imp. Familiars... Whether it was intentional or not.

Has anyone checked the FAQ or Errata yet?

Last edited:

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Pbartender said:
Double check the Celestial and Fiendish templates... "Beasts or animals with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged."

Has anyone checked the FAQ or Errata yet?
ACK!

i've got 'descriptors' on the brain after doing the spell descriptor list :eek:

the FAQ doesn't mention familiars at all, and there hasn't been a T&B errata posted to the Wizards site

RobNJ

Explorer
Mr Fidgit said:
the FAQ doesn't mention familiars at all, and there hasn't been a T&B errata posted to the Wizards site
There is a T&B FAQ but it doesn't cover this.

I've sent a message to The Sage, but since Skip Williams was let go I haven't gotten any responses from The Sage.

Shayuri

First Post
This is the way I interpret the info...take it as you will.

When animals are made into familiars (and according to Tome and Blood, you do change an existing animal into a familiar, not summon up a special one then and there) they become magical beasts. I assume the reason for that transformation is to allow for higher Int scores, as well as the myriad special abilities familiars have that normal animals do not.

However, the creature type for Improved Familiars doesn't change, at least in the examples I've seen. My interpretation for that is that elementals, outsiders, dragons, etc...they all already have the capacity in their creature types for high intelligence and spell-like/supernatural abilities. Therefore, a change in creature type is pointless. It adds nothing, and is in fact counterintuitive.

Though, I admit, by this idea the Stirge familiar ought to become a magical beast too. Oversight maybe? *shrug*

skymage

Explorer
i like they way you think Shayuri.
that makes so much sense to me i think i'll start uding that. improved familiar is one of my favorite feats. as for the stirge useing your way of familiar type would make it a magical beast makes scence to me. so until WotC comes out with a better solution i'll use your idea.

silvertable81

First Post
RobNJ said:
Well, there is a transformation. If you die, your familiar becomes a normal animal of its type, for example.
Actually it stays a Magical Beast and retains powers as if a familiar to a master one level lower than the deceased master.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads