• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Familiar

When acquiring the improved familiar feat as a 9th level character (5th level wizard/4level rogue), I would like to know if I have to pay the penalty of waiting 1 year and getting whacked with the XP hit for dismissing my old raven. How do the rules handle this familiar upgrade?

Also, if I were to lose my imp. familiar after acquiring him (a blink dog I suspect) would I then lose the chance to reapply for another imp. familiar. I.e. is this feat good only once, or will I forever after have the ability to summon these better familiars if I'm willing to take the hit for losing the old ones? Thx.

Please help the residents of the gulf coast!!! Donate to the Red Cross or other charities.

Krafen

First Post
Yes, you would take the penalty and have to wait the year. Improved Familiar simply expands the list of familiars available to you. Incidentally, one of the prerequisites for the Improved Familar feat is "ability to acquire a new familiar". It sounds like your character will not meet that prerequisite for about 366 days.

If you lose or dismiss you blink dog at some point, you could summon a familiar from the Improved Familar list to replace it (after waiting the year). The feat simply expands the list of familiars available to you. Also, note the feat is listed in several places with several different lists. I understand that to mean you have access to all the improved familar lists if you take the feat (taking caster level and alignment restrictions into account, of course).

Scharlata

First Post
Petronius_Ironfist said:
Please help the residents of the gulf coast!!! Donate to the Red Cross or other charities.

Hi and welcome to the boards!

Supporting Krafen in both stances. I recommend to beseech your DM as per the DMG p. 200: "Changes to the rules on familiars in the Player's Handbook are completely under the DM's control." The Improved Familiar feat isn't that broken to not allow skipping the year's "mourning time".

Good luck with your blink dog.

Last edited:

Remove ads