• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Life Drain and Fell Drain (Libris Mortis)

SadisticFishing

First Post
Do these two work together? I find it clear by the way they work that Fell Drain isn't quite the same as bestowing negative levels. I know that Fell Drain is (su), but my player has an undead graft that lets him cause negative levels... By the exact wording, this should work, but I don't think it's in the spirit of the rules.

Can anyone help with this? We're playing tomorrow and I want to know if I should tell him his entire char idea doesn't work or not. Though it may not seem overpowered, I don't really care, it's more of a "how should this work?" then a "how can I make this not work?"

Edit: Btw, the char is Monk 2/Sorceror 6/Pale Master 5

More edit: The real reason behind my argument is that Fell Drain doesn't give you temporary hit points - if you're not draining life, where do your save bonuses come from?

Thanks!
-Me

kreynolds

First Post
Fell Drain, as a metamagic feat, is pretty clear about affecting only spells, so my knee-jerk is not to allow it to affect anything but spells. Am I reading the wrong Fell Drain?

kreynolds

First Post
Is that a feat? I don't see that in Libris Mortis. I see the Life Drain feat though. Just want to be sure I'm on the same "page" as you.

EDIT: Quoted wrong book.

kreynolds

First Post
Yes, it's Life Drain. I do not believe they work together. Life Drain specifically refers to an "energy drain supernatural ability". Fell Drain is a metamagic effect, which in and off itself, does nothing, but does apply a modification to a spell. I really do not see a relationship between the two.

kreynolds

First Post
True, the only mention of supernatural ability is in the prerequisite section. However, the only example provided of the feat's use is with a supernatural ability, so...

kreynolds

First Post
Are you the DM? If so, you aren't required to prove it. The fair thing to do would be to put forth a reasonable argument (and I like to think you have one now), and if necessary, just agree to disagree.

Remove ads