• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Magic Missile?

Aaron L

Hero
Back in 1E my friend designed a Greater Magic Missile 3rd level spell, did d6+1, and it could penetrate Shield but if it did it reduced the damage back to D4+1.

Necromas

First Post
You could always try Issacs Greater Missile Storm from NWN, 1 missle per caster level, up to 20, each does 2d6 force damage, no save, no SR, level 6 spell.

That was definitely a fun one to metamagic :p

On the other hand, Issac's Lesser Missile Storm, a 4th level spell that makes 1 missile per caster level, capped at 10, and each does 1d6. That spell seemed pretty fair.

rgard

Adventurer
rgard said:
We use it as a 2nd lvl spell with 1d6+1. Limited to a max of 5 dice. Works just fine. Nothing unbalanced about it.

Thanks,
Rich

Based on the 'Shield' statement above by Aaron, I should add that 'Shield' still defeats the 2nd level Improved Magic Missile we use.

Thanks,
Rich

Kisanji Arael

First Post
Mordenkainen's Force Missiles
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to four creatures, no two of which can be more than 20 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None or Reflex half (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a powerful missile of magical force, which darts from your fingertips and unerringly strikes its target, dealing 2d6 points of damage. The missile then bursts in a 5-foot blast of force that inflicts half this amount of damage to any creatures in the area (other than the primary target). The primary target is not entitled to a saving throw against the burst, but creatures affected by the burst may attempt a Reflex save for half damage.

If the missiles' burst areas overlap, secondary targets make only one saving throw attempt (and only one SR check, if applicable). A character can be struck by one missile (or more) and also be caught in the burst of another missile. In such a case, the character may attempt a Reflex save to halve the burst damage, and SR might apply.

The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee or has anything less than total cover or concealment. A caster cannot single out specific parts of a creature. The spell can target and damage unattended objects.

For every five caster levels, the caster gains one missile. A caster has two missiles at 9th level or lower, three missiles from 10th to 14th level, and four missiles at 15th level or higher. A caster can make more than one missile strike a single target, if desired. However, the caster must designate targets before rolling for SR or damage.

From http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030504x

Grimstaff said:
Back in 1E days, my group had a spell called "Improved Magic Missile" that was a 5th level spell, the only difference from the 1st level version being that you could fire off 1 missile per caster level! Yes, your 12th level Magic User fired off 12 missles instead of 6! It was never unbalancing or anything though...

At 5th level that sounds, if anything weak. Consider that a 3rd level Fireball didn't cap at 10d6 back in 1E.

-Albert

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Necromas said:
You could always try Issacs Greater Missile Storm from NWN, 1 missle per caster level, up to 20, each does 2d6 force damage, no save, no SR, level 6 spell.

Ah, so in other words, it was a disintegrate spell with no ranged touch attack, no save, and no SR. Perfectly balanced!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
taliesin15 said:
I'm thinking of introducing Improved Magic Missile spells into my campaign. The first being either a 2nd or 3rd level spell where the damage is 1d6+1, another one at higher lvl being 1d8+1 and so forth, otherwise identical to the first lvl Mag Missile.

Has this been tried before? And what do people think? Too powerful? Just right as a 2nd lvl spell?

It would be interesting to compare it with a 'baked in metamagic' variant.

e.g a 3rd level spell which is an 'empowered magic missile' would do 3/4/6/7 damage each (1d4+1 * 1.5), averaging 5pts each. The examples you give work out as 4.5 and 5.5 average damage respectively. The higher maximum damage improves the effectiveness of maximise or empower on this high level magic missiles, so personally I would rate 1d6+1 damage MMissile as a 3rd level spell.

If that seems reasonable, then you could perhaps peg a 1d8+1 MM at 5th level, a 1d10+1 MM at 7th level and a 1d12+1 MM at 9th level... although whether those would be worth it is moot.

Cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads