• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Spring Attack?

War Golem

First Post
Hi folks,

Are there any published feats that improve upon the Spring Attack feat?

I don't have the book in front of me right now, but as I recall Spring Attack allows the PC to move their normal movement rate and take a single attack somewhere along the way.

Is there a feat anywhere that improves upon this and allows multiple attacks during the move, either on a single target, or upon multiple targets along the movement path?

Thanks,

War Golem

in the UE of FR the feat " tiger berseker" seems you can make a full attack at end of charge if armed with 2 light weapons sorry but I don't have any book here and dom't remember the name.
An epic feat seems do the same "dire charge" I think.
I hope that helps :)

mikebr99

Explorer
There was a PrC... Swiftrunner of Ehlonna (sp?)... in a Dragon mag., that had a high level class ability that allowed for a full attack at the end of a charge also.

Sorry... Fleetrunner of...

Mike

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Arcana Unearthed has a feat called Speed Burst which permits an extra move action once a day for every two character levels (so you can full attack and then move, or move then full attack, or move, standard attack, and move). Technically it is supposed to replace spring attack, not be used along with it. However, if your character concept is based on this idea, and your DM allows it, I think it would be balanced.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The Conan d20 book by Mongoose has a class feature for several classes called Greater Mobility (available at 15th level).

It allows the character to move up to his speed as part of a full attack action, rather than just taking a five foot step. He may move and attack in any order e.g. move five feet, attack once, move fifteen feet, attack twice more, move again another ten feet. It doesn't apply if mounted or wearing heavy armour.

Now, Conan is a more deadly-combat game than D&D, but you could consider this as a possibility for a high level feat.

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
In Conan it is a class ability, and can't be used in heavy armour or while mounted.

If I were to make it into a feat (I probably wouldn't for my current campaign) I'd certainly include an armour restriction alongside a hefty BAB requirement.

War Golem

First Post
I have most WotC books and was pretty sure I'd never seen an Improved Spring Attack feat, but I'm surprised no 3rd party book hasn't had something along those lines by now (Mongoose's Quintessential Fighter, for example).

This feat for high level fighter-types seems like a no-brainer to me, something comparable to the Two-Weapon Fighting feat chain, which progresses all the way up to epic feats with Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting.

I was reading through the feats in the Epic Level Handbook last night, and an Improved Spring Attack feat that would allow a second or even third attack seemed comparable to a lot of the feats in that book. Although, to be honest, I'm still not sold on why quite a few of the so-called epic feats would be unbalanced for sub-20th level characters to take (as long as they meet other requirements, of course).

So here's what I'm thinking:

Improved Spring Attack, with requirement BAB something along the lines of +12 or so, that would allow one extra attack during a Spring Attack, with the second attack at the normal -5 for a second attack. Attacks must be on different opponents.

Greater Spring Attack, BAB around 16+, 3 attacks, highest attack bonus, then -5, then -10. No more than one attack on any single opponent.

Whirlwind Spring Attack (Epic), BAB 21+, 1 single attack at highest attack bonus on each opponent within reach during the course of a regular move action.

Thoughts?

War Golem

Last edited:

Remove ads